cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Apple Watch (Cellular) - Enterprise/Business

Hi Crowd (& Optus),

I have an Apple watch with cellular & I have an Optus service on my company owned iPhone - which is on an enterprise plan.

Is there any update or news for when enterprise/business plans are eligeble for cellular access for Apple Watch?

It has been over 6months with no resolution - I struggle to understand how this continues to be an issue.

Regards,

Frustrated User

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Apple Watch (Cellular) - Enterprise/Business

It does seem to be a bizarre and arbitrary decision. Obviously there is no technical impediment but for some unknown reason Optus don't appear to want to supply this service to business customers (or make the money they would get doing). There must be some thing stopping it that we're not privy too.

On the service itself, I do wonder if it is falling into the slot of marketting gimmick that has done its dash. Sure its the closest we've had to a (William) Tracy watch yet but in practice I don't get the sense its setting much fire to the industry. Almost no phones offer the ability and those few that do aren't supportted by carriers (i.e. Optus only does the Apple Watch).

For ownership the costs are high (The watch costs $100 more than the GPS version and then $60 a year for the eSim). Using the eSim drains battery fast and almost all of the funtionality of the watch works without eSim, especially when you realise your phone is within 10m of you all the time. Really the only scenario where eSim comes into its own is if you go jogging without your phone and want to make a phone call half way though (and isn't one of the best things about running the "me" space?)

But those are just my impressions. Maybe after a bit of tweaking eSims will be front and centre next year.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS For the record Optus many people are named D.i.c.k and would probably be upset that they couldn't type their name in the Optus forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Skimmo - thanks for reaching out. There is currently an issue with Number Share for business customers.  We are currently waiting on programmers to amend the issue. This has been raised as a fault, reference number → 18149199.
I'm afraid we don't have an ETA at this stage, rest assured, we have the best department looking into a fix asap. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Shauna,

Thank you for the context and summary. While I can undersand that the project is a work in progress. I cannot understand that a company of your size (not just domestically), after 6 months since number sharing market introduction is still scratching their heads on finding a solution - from a consumers point of view, it seems like such a simple product/service.

As for the reference number, is that a number I can use to check the status of this 'fault'?

And, seriously......no ETA on a solution? As I mentioned, an organisation of your scale.......very surprising.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I have to agree with @Skimmo

It would be nice to have a better indication of what this 'fault' is. The service works perfectly well for residential customers and they use all the same towers and wires as the business ones. It seems this fault is just Optus not having got around to add the option to the business billing departments dropdown list? Its all the more strange as rectifying this fault would immediately offer Optus not only a competitive advantage but also the ability to charge more $$$ to existing (wealthy) clients on day one.

After six months of work lets hope the best technical team is close to completion (or at least could provide an ETA).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'd love to be able to offer a time-frame, but anything I offer would be pure speculation.

The last update was left on the ticket on the 04/05/18.

"Currently liaising with Amdocs and testing team to work out the fix and related testing / funding. I will organise assistance with SDP fix to call a new API that Amdocs are suggesting pending confirmation."

Once we have an update, I'll update this thread. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Has there been anymore updates? 

Its been another 3 months! 

This is becoming laughable!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Skimmo, your thread has been escalated to myself as a mobile billing expert and I do apologise but there seems to be much confusion around this issue.

I can confirm that enterprise accounts are not eligible for Number Share, and at this stage there have been no announcements to bring this functionality to them.

This occurs because they operate in a standalone system and Number Share cannot be provisioned in that system. The fault PR that Shauna has linked only applies to SMB accounts and was resolved back in May.

I'm sorry that this has been going on for so long and no one has previously been able to confirm this, I'll make sure they are aware of this moving forward.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, I have just signed up to an Optus Corporate plan... I have an Apple 3G watch, and not for one second did I think that if I switched my plan from Vodafone to Optus that I would not be able to use my Apple watch anymore... I get I probably failed to read the fine print but I am reallly dissappointed as some of the previous comments suggest it would seem a no brainer that such services would be offerred regardless of whether you are a retail or corpoate customer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah it is disappointing. I do believe though that there must be some fundamental connectivity differences (corporate plans are usually more reliable / guaranteed?) that means its not an option for now - I'm sure optus would love to provide it as a option to corporate customers.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors