cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor DouglasB
Occasional Contributor

Re: Apple Watch 3 eSim, how does it work? Cost?

The available bands are listed here: https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/ 

• LTE
  • 1 (2100 MHz)
  • 3 (1800 MHz)
  • 5 (850 MHz)
  • 7 (2600 MHz)
  • 8 (900 MHz)
  • 18 (800 MHz)
  • 19 (800 MHz)
  • 20 (800 DD)
  • 26 (800 MHz)
  • UMTS
  • 800 MHz
  • 850 MHz
  • 900 MHz
  • 2100 MHz
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Currently, an iPhone 6 and above is required to configure an Apple Watch series 3 with cellular. (Note the Watch is backed up to the iPhone). Currently, the iPad and Mac's don't have apps for Activity + the Watch shares the same number as your phone.

So Apple could probably have it work separately but they have not chosen to do that at this time.

Occasional Contributor soooyy
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I see a few reasons Apple hasn't done it. I personally don't expect a small watch to replace my phone completly. Therefore $10 per month on top of my phone bill is too much, just to cover the times I go out running/swimming and don't want to take my phone with me. But I'll go for the cellular connection anyways because I'm optimistic, these devices and services get better like they always do. 

Look forward to finding out what Optus will offer compared to other companies world wide. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I actually want to know Optus plans before Apple Watch pre-orders start at 5:01pm tomorrow. How do we get this info from them?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor soooyy
Occasional Contributor

I'd like to know that too! Someone from Optus please let us know.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Knowing Apple, there's probably some sort of embargo in place until 5.01?

FWIW I wouldn't be pre-ordering just yet. Its a fair bet Optus will have some special eSim deal if you get the watch via them. 

Given the watch is basically identical to last years model (in form) I don't think there will be any huge issues with supply either - watch wearers are still pretty niche (+ they presumably already have an s2?). I'ev no doubt that all stores will have plenty on the day of release.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, 

No, the USA networks have already revealed their watch plans. And Optus if they want me to buy the watch from them will need to advise their plans prior to pre-orders going live. Optus and Telstra have been listed by Apple as a launch day partner so they’ve certainly had time to think this through.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@DouglasB

Totally agree. But it seems none of the Australian vendors have listed their iWatch plans yet. 

The few times I've seen it at Optus they wait until pre-orders can be taken before listing the items.

Whether they do list any time soon, my point is you're going to have to come back to Optus/Telstra/Vodaphone for the eSim anyway. It might be shooting yourself in the foot not to buy it as a package.

Good Luck anyway.

Peter Gillespie

RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey guys, as you can imagine, we wouldn't be able to discuss any information that hasn't been made public already. To be honest, most details are kept private until announced publicly any way. I don't have the details for the Apple Watch 3 at this stage. Further pre-order information is released at 5pm, so keep an eye on the YesCrowd home page for updates. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Um, 5pm is exceedingly poor timing as I will be preordering products directly from Apple at that time, due to lack of information from Optus. USA networks have released their info so Optus should be able to. Would be good if you could convey that logic to your people. Cheers.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors