cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: Apple Watch 3 eSim, how does it work? Cost?

Sorry I can't vouch for overseas providers. I know this happens every year and no information is shared until allowed. I'm sure it would be within Optus' best interest to be the first to get their prices out there, but every year the process is exactly the same, we must wait until the pre-order deadline. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@DouglasB

Looks like apple fans will be expected to hand out a bit more each year.

No guarantee Optus will follow suit but it will cost $10-15 a month for an eSim to use with your iWatch.

Seems pretty pricey to me, but then again so does $2000 for a phone that (mostly) saves you touching it with your finger to unlock it. Smiley Surprised

Given the watch works fine near the phone and 99% of the time msot people are near there phone, I'd recommend saving the dough and buying the non-LTE version.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor soooyy
Occasional Contributor

@DouglasB @petergdownload

You have a good point there. Smiley LOL I know I will be doing the same at 5pm today, just so I can get it faster. 

In relation to the cellular connection, I will get it regardless. I will be using it without activating eSim to start with, then shop around for the eSim service. The other reason is I don't think I can get a good plan with Optus. 

Taking iPhone 7 128G as an example. If I were to buy one from Apple ($999), at my current BYO plan $40 per month (10G data, unlimited call/texts, 300 minutes international calls), I would be paying $81.63 per month. In order to get the same level of service, I would have to get a $90 per month plan with Optus. It's always been the same pricing models, I'm assuming it's going to be the same for Apple watch too. 

Plus I'm buying it with my Amex, I will get extended warranty, purchase protection and insurance. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@soooyy

Not sure on the 'shopping around' bit. My understanding is the embedded eSIM can be hooked up to any carrier offering the service (In Oz it appears there will be three, including Optus). But you presumably will have to marry the carrier offering the eSim to the same one you have your iPhone with?

So whoever your plan is with now (Optus?) then you'll need to dish out the $10-$15 they will be asking for the eSim capablity IMO.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor FunkyJay
New Contributor

I have a personal Optus post paid and an work Optus phone controlled by my company. Can I get an Optus esim for the Apple Watch 3 through my personal account but pair the watch to my work iPhone so the watch calls and text Etc are from work, but data billed to personal. I know that sound Ma complex - surely a lot of people have work phones though. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload

Yes it would have to be the same carrier with my phone, I'd be gladly to switch for a better overall deal any minute Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor DouglasB
Occasional Contributor

@FunkyJay

It's extremely unlikely that this could work as you hope. 

Frist, note that the eSIM is embedded in the Watch, you can't pull it out and change it for another one.

The info I read on the Apple site said that the Apple Watch is connected/configured to the cellular network when you pair it with the phone. And, as you know, shares the number with that phone. You talk of pairing it to your work phone. But, Optus will, of course, have to allow, configure that same account so it can route the calls/messages to two places, your phone, and your watch. If Optus is going to charge for that service, they are no doubt going to bill it to the same account that they apply the service too. I.E. the work account. 

You'll have to convince your work that you need this functionality but they are probably going to say, 'keep your phone with you'. Or, if they need you to answer the phone while you are at the gym and your phone is in the locker, they can pay for the service.

Hope that helps clarify.

Highlighted
New Contributor TDub
New Contributor

$5/month on top of your phone plan... You can get the 1st 6 months free if you sign up by 31/12/2018;

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/applewatch

New Contributor AcesHoney
New Contributor

Could you please advise what constitutes an eligible plan, I am currently on pre paid but will connect to a post paid plan to connect my new apple watch 3.  I would like to know what the eligible sim only plans are 
TIA

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

$5 per month for number share is better than I expected. The 6 months free offer is awesome. 

Currently, they don't have any apple watch plans. I've bought one from Apple, and will pick it up on 22nd.

Look forward to it :-) 

Here is how to activate 

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer?requestType=NormalRequest&question=external+link&typeid=...