Searching...

Mobile Products & Network

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Apple Watch 3 eSim, how does it work? Cost?

[ Edited ]
soooyy

I'd been looking forward to this new Apple Watch 3, and I was so pleased to see Optus is on board with releasing Apple Watch 3, and comprehending eSim. This means a cellular Apple Watch 3 allows you to make/receive phone calls, send/receive text messages without your phone nearby, using your existing phone number.

How exactly does this work? Do I just buy the Apple Watch from Apple store then contact Optus to get the eSim activated?

How much does this additional eSim service likely to cost? I'm hoping this would be like a data sharing sim card, you pay once for activating the service, then it just uses your existing plan. 

Re: Apple Watch 3 eSim, how does it work? Cost?

petergdownload

Will be interesting to see what the practicalities are. Optus have many options here and hopefully it will simply be a one off say $10 payment for the extra SIM.

In terms of connectability it may only be an inner city thing as possibly the watch will be coded to a single band (3G?) 

Also the watch will still use the phone to make calls if it is in range. Only switching to its own mode when you leave your phone behind.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Onemanarmy

What I'd like to know, is if we can forego a phone completely and/or instead bundle this with an iPad Pro data plan.

[ Edited ]
soooyy

Well I'm still debating whether to buy with or without cellular. 

At the moment, you will still need a phone and a phone Sim card. But to be realistic, I still like to have my phone around for checking news, social media, taking photos etc. As long as your phone is nearby, you won't need the cellular connection, and still be able to make phone calls. The difference in price is only $100, I would go for it even just for the extra storage. I guess it depends on how must it cost to use an e-Sim.

soooyy

That's a good point, I personally don't see any difficulties in doing that, giving they can connect an eSim to a phone sim card. The question is whether they would do it for you, and I hope they'd do it for you. 

Onemanarmy

In regards to your situation I'd go for cellular just to cover any change of mind in the future....

Ive had the previous generation and there's been times when data would be really handy!

petergdownload

You want to go complete (William) Tracey?

Sounds like a great idea. Something in me suspects the Optus/Apple corporates won't like that though, as its not maximising revenue. Smiley Sad

Also its possibly technically its not feasible either. It only just has 1 days battery life and that largely because it spends most of its time shut down. Its not scanning for phone signals (which are a big drain) as the phone does this If you dumped the phone  you'd possibly only get six hours battery life?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Onemanarmy

Peter,

i think you are right and the corporates won't like this!

In response to the rest of your reply, I've actually already considered this and would be turning airplane mode off when I wanted to use the data...

Smiley Happy

SamSam

Given Optus ditched their data share sim offer some time ago (I know you can still pool data, there's just no more attaching a data share SIM to an existing service) I wouldn't hold your breath for something along those lines. I'd say at best they'll charge $10-$20 a month for the privlidge

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

blanchard0b

This will be a deal breaker for me. Really interested in getting the network connectivity without carrying the phone (I run alot and am always concerned about the safety issue of not having a phone on me) but if its going to cost me $10+ per month more, then it wont be worth it for me...

Hopefully it will be a one off cost as Optus is already charging me an arm and a leg for my phone and tablet!

Optus if your reading this any word on when this information will be available? Will the watch be available on a plan too?

Post a Reply
Introducing the Optus Business Care hub

Here you’ll find a complete suite of help and support exclusively for our small and medium business customers. Read More

Top Contributors
7 Kudos
4 Kudos
4 Kudos
4 Kudos
4 Kudos