Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Adaml
New Contributor

Wifi Calling - note 9

Picked up a new note 9 to replace my broken Galaxy S8

Checked online about wifi calling as reception is not the best where I live, but I get good reception at work with Optus so I chose to stay with them.

I saw that wifi calling is not compatible with s9 s9+ and the note 9. I saw that they have an app wifi calling. I thought that will be perfect until it wifi calling will work natively, even if the reviews of the app were not great.

Upon resigning with Optus, getting the new phone I downloaded wifi calling only to find it does not work. Contacted live chat, and surprise surprise they have told me it is no longer supported... great...

Does anyone know what the eta is for wifi calling to work natively on these new devices? They could not give me an eta which presumably means it could be weeks to months away which does not work for me. I need to be able to make and receive calls at home. It worked perfect on my gs8.

Now if it is going to be a while away, I will have no choice to change providers. Will I need to argue to get out of the Optus contract on these grounds?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Wifi Calling - note 9

Is no reason why the Note 9 shoudl not have wifi calling.

One of the pages that shows the wifi native calling does not have s8/s8+ nor my Note 8 and I have had wifi calling since I got it on launch.

Another link that shows the phones for sale on plans is this one:

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones?order=wifi_calling

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The S9/S9+ and Note 9 are all WiFi calling enabled by default.

The key difference that was introduced to the S9 range and continues with the Note 9 is that there is no option to toggle VoLTE off/on where as previously you could. VoLTE is linked to WiFi calling so in previousl models, you'd need to first switch VoLTE on and wait for it to activate before you could then turn WiFi calling on.

Long story short, if you bought your Note 9 from Optus, you shouldn't have any problems using WiFi calling. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

The VoLTE + WiFi calling support page does need an update.

The Note 9 and S9 do support WiFi calling.

I believe all Galaxy handsets from the S6 and above are supported. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Adaml
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses.

From what the live chat person was telling me Optus is still working on there end to get it working. It worked on my old handset (s8) fine. I've done a hard reset in my note and still not getting the symbol for it appearing... 

Any suggestions in what else it could be?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmnm, maybe a new firmware update is required to activate the feature.

Check to see whether there are any outstanding updates.

• Find the Settings Application and open it up.
  • Scroll down to the line About Device and select.
  • Select Software Update.
  • Press Update now.

Do you have the option to toggle WiFi calling on/off or is it greyed out/not there at all? 

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Adaml
New Contributor

All software updates are updated 😕

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'll try and source some info for you @Adaml.

Does the option appear in your settings at all? 

I've received our weekly Android update schedule. There's no mention of a new Note 9 update.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Adaml you mentioned re-signing with Optus and getting a new phone in the same sentence so I assumed you got it from Optus on a contract. Is that right or did you buy it outright from somewhere like JB HiFi?

Also, I just watched this YouTube vid. Might be helpful because the setting to switch it on was in a different place to where I would have thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFhxgM04NA

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Oh, cool! Thanks for that link @sam Sam

0 Kudos