Searching...

Mobile

WARNING: Problems with Huawei Mate P20 and Google Assistant.

MrFixIt

Before anyone dives in and orders the Mate 20 Pro, I am encountering issues that have already taken the shine of my purchase. I was about to order the new Pixel XL and the Mate looked better in all areas. The Youtube crowd all rave about it, but they get so wrapped up in the hype of cameras, games and speed, they don't seem to test some pretty basic features at all well.

First issue.

Google Assistant. 

When I enable the "Access with Voice Match" slider, the phone spins around for a while, then comes up "Problem while Connecting. Check your connection and try again". I have tried both over wifi and 4G. Does it on both the same. This is a new handset. Up until today I was using a Galaxy S9 with no problems.

Second issue.
Google Play Music. The app comes up saying you have "Too many devices used with music library. Your music library can be used with up to 10 devices. You'll probably need to deauthorise one of your devices before adding another".
There is a manage devices option, so I pressed it and removed all of the devices other than the one I presume was this phone. Still didn't work.

I need to know if this is a problem between Huawei and Google so I can work out whether I need to return the handset as "unfit for purpose".

I would be keen to hear from anyone else with the handset as to whether this is an issue. It looks like the Google Assistant started failing after a software update back in May 2018 on the Mate 10 Pro and has not been resolved. 

If you are considering buying this phone, check that these issues are not isolated if you value OK Google, which I do absolutely when I am driving. I can't use the GPS, or play music any more becuase of this.

Re: WARNING: Problems with Huawei Mate P20 and Google Assistant.

MrFixIt

Problem 2 sorted. It takes time for the Google Play Music app to see changes in the account. Google Play music now works.

This leaves the major issue of Google Assistant Voice match. This is a major issue for me and I am sure others will also agree that "OK Google" must work on an Android phone to be truly useful.

I  hope this is resolved quickly, or I will be asking Optus for my money back. 

MrFixIt

And FIXED!

After hours of mucking around and trying things, I got this working. For the benefit of others who may have this issue on their phone, here is how I got mine working.

1. Go into settings | apps. Select Apps.

2. Find Google and select it.

3. Click on Storage. 

4. Click on Clear Cache.

5. Click on Manage Space, then click on Clear All Data.

6. Go into Google from the launcher and go through the setup wizard. 

You should now get through the wizard with no problems and your OK Google should be working.

I am very happy again.

Vanderlay6

Glad you got it sorted

In general how is the phone are you happy with it ?

Dazkatmaka11
This will ensure that it keeps working after a reboot, all other methods failed to work for me.

This has been working for 10 days after several reboots.

Cleared cache and storage
Disabled App
Enabled App
Downloaded update from playstore
Reboot
Setup voice detect
Retrained voice.
Highlighted

MrFixIt

Yes I am very happy with the handset. I would say it is the best I have had so far. I am still not a fan of edge screens, but otherwise the design is brilliant.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
34 Kudos
22 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos
13 Kudos