Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Voice over Wifi and Voice over LTE on Samsung Galaxy S10+

Al76

Hello all, when I purchased my S10+ in April, I was on Vodafone. Due to the terrible reception in my Sydney apartment I relied upon Wifi Calling. 

Because I was on prepaid I was able to try Telstra for a month and ported my number over. Same bad reception, so I continued to rely on WiFi Calling.

I've just switched to Optus today on a post paid SIM only byo plan. Same reception issues, but the WiFi Calling and VoLTE aren't working any more. 

Is there something Optus have to enable for me to use VoLTE and Wifi Calling? 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Re: Voice over Wifi and Voice over LTE on Samsung Galaxy S10+

Davelew

Hi

To enable VoLTE and Wifi calling you need to have purchased your phone from Optus.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Paddylee

@Davelew not always as i have seen non Optus devices at least connect to VOLTE.

If I read that right it had volte and vowifi on both Vodafone and Telstra already. 

No excuse for Optus to not offer the same. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Davelew

@Paddylee 

Optus say quite clearly that it is only available on Optus purchased phones:https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/volte-coverage-networks?requestType=NormalRequest&id=16...

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Al76

Thank you, yes I had found that information after posting. 

Unfortunately that's not what I was told in store today. I'd explained that I had poor reception with Vodafone and Telstra. The response was that if I had that issue with Optus then I could still use the Wifi Calling. The salesperson knew I was bringing my own S10+, and it was a 12 month SIM only plan I signed up to.

I'll have to use the Coverage Commitment to cancel, and go back to Telstra or Vodafone.

What a shame Optus have this restriction as the $50 plan ($40 on special) was a fantastic deal! ... oh well.

Paddylee

From my activation of several thousand handsets onto Optus from other providers begs to differ. 

If you call/webchat Optus and request volte be turned on and see how you go.

(you need volte to go vowifi) 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

SillyGogo

worth giving livechat or technical support a try. at least get them to confirm that volte and wifi calling is activated on your service. Also, worth turning the feature off and back on again on your phone to see if that helps. 

Jeneral__Pain

Your accusation that it's a plan restriction is simply not true. 

Have you set up your phone correctly with the right APNs and other settings to enable VoLTE/WiFi calling? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

Paddylee

It is something that needs to get activated at plan/service level.

But I can see your not interested in that side so I will leave it be.

Jeneral__Pain

That isn't a plan restriction, that's like asking for voicemail.

It's not "restricted", it's just not "Active".

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
34 Kudos
22 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos
13 Kudos