Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Video calls

I was under the understanding that video calls using WhatsApp are free but after making my first call ever, I was charged $1.40 for a 1 minute call. Can anyone tell me why?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Video calls

I don't use WhatsApp but from what I understand is just use your phones standard internet connection, so if you have mobile data turned on then it will use that and you will incur just your normal mobile data costs.

What was that $1.40 listed/described as?

I don't know if the app has any option to use standard carrier video calling, but if it does, and the call was made that way, then you would incur a video call cost from Optus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for your response,

Yes, as far as I understand, WhatsApp uses the phone standard internet connection so I cannot understand why I was charged.

The video call was listed under Other Mobile Calls and under the Rate column as 'Video'.

I have a Data allowance of 3.00GB and used only87.36MB, so it can't have anything to do with that.

Perhaps I should try to determine if my phone is set on standard carrier video calling (as you mentioned) but I have no idea how to do this.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@AndyAnd wrote:

Perhaps I should try to determine if my phone is set on standard carrier video calling (as you mentioned)

Given that your bill has it rated as "Video" that would be the logical thing to do.

but I have no idea how to do this.

That makes two of us 😉

0 Kudos