cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Contributor
Contributor

Using a VPN on Optusnet in Australia

Hello, I have searched all the comments related to this and either I don't understand them, or they are not exactly my problem. My conditions are: Win 7, 5G Network 256 mbps download speed, email program Thunderbird. I have no problem at all with downloading or uploading emails, but if I turn my VPN ( Nordlink ) on Optusnet will not even allow me to connect, although using a nearby connection. It appears that Optusnet go by your IP address and if that changes, then it is not you. Surely in the 21st century Optus have heard of VPN's and know people use them? I suppose my question is: Is there something in the email setup on Optusnet that allows you to use a VPN?  In replies I have read so far they all refer to "open vpn", I have no idea what is meant by that, so if that is my problem could as a great lady once said "please explain". Thanks for taking the time to read this and any suggestions to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Using a VPN on Optusnet in Australia

Its done this way to stop the Optus mail servers from becoming spam relays.

You need to setup your email client to use outgoing and incoming authentication.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1434
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

So your problem is accessing mail while using VPN, is that correct?

If so, the reason for that is that you VPN provider must be on a non-Optus network. Optus don't allow access to their mail servers (in general) from a non-optus network as far as I'm aware as it they treat it as a security/spamming risk.

I seen numerous people report that they have problems when accessing Optus mail servers while not on the Optus network.

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Logged-Off 

Isn't it more then just the authentication, but also an on-net/off-net issue? That's the impression I get.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Gooday PaddyLee, thanks for your reply. Thunderbird is setup with both input and output requiring Authentication, am I wrong in assuming this is what you are talking about? The strange part is with the VPN on I can connect to the Webmail, but though Thunderbird I get the message " THE MESSAGE COULD NOT BE SENT BECAUSE THE OUTGOING SERVER (SMTP) SPMTP.OPTUSNET.COM.AU TIMED OUT" With Authentication on it doesn't make sense to me, any clues? Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

No idea what you mean?
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Then its either your vpn provider or optus blocking it.
Some vpn providers have some browsing security functionality.
And if its not them, very unlikely Optus would open themselves up for spam if its their side.
Pretty much you would have to use webmail - or even take the step of not using ISP mail which wll give you the freedom to move.
Contributor
Contributor

No, my provider is Optus on the 5G network broadband, but thanks anyway.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks anyway, but it is not Nordvpn, I have checked with them. I think Optus just watch IP addresses and if it changes they think something is wrong.
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@vk3col wrote:
I think Optus just watch IP addresses and if it changes they think something is wrong.

Nordvpn should keep the same IP for the life of the session, so a change in IP should never happen in the middle of a connection. IP addresses do change, and are actually expected to change,  so if it does change in between sessions it should not be an issue,

0 Kudos