cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor DrPhil
New Contributor

Unlock old postpaid Samsung phone

I'd like to unlock my old Samsung post-paid phone I got about 2013, and have had sitting in a drawer since I upgraded.  When I try the Optus unlock page and enter the IMEI I get an error message saying this is not a prepaid phone.  I know that 🙂  How do I get an old post-paid phone unlocked?

Thanks Phil

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unlock old postpaid Samsung phone

Are you sure its locked Phil as postpaid devices have been sold unlocked for many years. Have you tried another carrier sim?

New Contributor DrPhil
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  I tried a telstra sim and get a message selected network not available. In settings - about phone - status its shows the network as Yes Optus (which is why I thought it is locked to Optus).  Your reply made me check settings - wireless and networks - mobile networks - network operators which only show yes optus and vodaphone.  I guess its phone compatibility with the telstra network rather than being locked to Optus, and  I'll have to try a vodaphone sim to find out if it actually is locked?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What model Samsung is it and have you tried resetting the network settings or doing a full factory reset. Don't forget to back up anything important if you are going to do a factory reset.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tano
RetiredModerator

I'd recommend a factory reset @DrPhil, it may also be a handset default itself. It would really depend on the model and age of the phone itself as well.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos