Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
TomY
New Contributor
New Contributor

The Note 9 run around is horrible

I preordered the Note 9 512GB in Blue. My order for a Note 9 was made in good faith. I could have gone with another ISP or vendor, but I trusted Optus. This is the most expensive Android phone available on Optus. I was on a plan that means I pay Optus over $100 every month for two years. That adds up to quite a bit of money. I ordered that phone because I need a phone. I probably lost some business because I am relying on a five-year-old phone to get me through this.

But then, days went by. I didn't get my phone. I participated in three chats with Optus. The first said it would be visible soon. The second said just wait two days and it will have left the warehouse. Well, actually it wasn't, but the next chat rep said it would be out of the warehouse in 24 hours. It wasn't. 48 hours later, the next chat rep said it wasn't in the warehouse and there was no ETA.

And even worse, there's a bug in the Optus website that we cannot see a preorder that is backordered. We just see an error because of a null pointer. I even took time out of my day to report that error to technical support.

Finally I saw on the Optus website that Black phones are shipping in 1-5 days. I talked to a chat representative who seemed cheerful and helpful. I said I don't care about colour, I just want my phone. The rep said he will definitely change the colour my order from Blue to Black. That I would soon get an email from Optus about it.

Turns out, the friendly rep was actually a liar (or just incompetent, or Optus' order tracking system is just that bad). Now my ORDER 21816921A is cancelled! I got no email from Optus! And I still don't have a phone. It took me 10 days, 5 reps, and all I got was a cancelled order that I never wanted to be cancelled.

Can anyone convince me that this is not something for ACCC? I can see that I'm not the only one with issues with Note 9. I can even see that I'm not the only one with a cancelled order. I'm a patient man, but where is my phone? Where is the persistent customer support, where I can talk to someone who has my case number on hand and doesn't take ten minutes of the chat to just get up to speed on the issue? This is a contract worth >$2500, and you stuff it up how??!?!?!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Aman_B

Re: The Note 9 run around is horrible

Hi @TomYDisappointing to see that the ordering process has been so rough, not what we're aiming for. Due to the popularity of the offer, there is a delay for customers who’d placed their pre-order on or just before the 22nd of August. For those impacted by the delay, your order will begin shipping this coming Friday. Once a handset has been allocated to your order, we'll send out a SMS and let you know with an updated delivery date. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
TomY
New Contributor
New Contributor

Well, I decided to just wait to see what would happen. (I could always get a Google Pixel 3 XL or something). Finally, today (five days after my last chat with Optus) I got a email that confirmed that I will get a device sent to me. (The rep said I'd get an email after our chat session, not that I'd need to wait almost a week).

So perhaps the chat rep did the right thing, and the problem is simply that Optus' online sales system is abysmal to the point of failure. Either way Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
GiOZz
New Contributor
New Contributor

I can assure you aman, I have seen the worst. I am glad to hear that TomY got his issue resolved. 

But i am still struggling with Optus being pain in the back. After 12 days of daily followup today some told me, my order is actually cancelled. I can assure you this includes YesCrowed moderator told me yesterday just wait - it is in the queue.

It was sitting for credit check which no one bothered to process and i am waiting for the phone which actually was cancelled!!!!

Go figure! 

So i would say - Optus actually aiming to make sure the processes are so difficut that customers go in circles and gets harrased. Even your own teams are screwing it up and understanding it. Believe me i have every single chat, emails, SMSs and confirmations. 

TomY
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sorry to hear that. For me, telling the rep to switch colours meant that instead of just switching colours, the original order was cancelled, and then a "new order" initiated.

<rant>

As I see it, Optus' problem is that new orders, "in the queue", don't exist for the customer until they aren't in the queue anymore. There's no email sent, and nothing that customers can see on the website.

Seems that moderators, trying to be helpful, have to guess that an order is in the queue (can they check the customer's account before saying that? I doubt it because I have 6+ account numbers, mostly old Optus phones or contracts that are now unused. How would the mod even know which account to check?)

That's the same "guess" that the customer reps relaying messages from the warehouse did. They guessed that I could just wait for 2 days, or 24 hours, or then a week after the order, finally told me it's backordered with no ETA. Actually I came close to just ordering another phone because after the first order was switched to Cancelled, for five days, there was no record of a purchase in my email or on my optus.com.au dashboard.

The customer reps and moderators want to do a good job, but I think that Optus' order tracking system needs to be fixed to enable that to happen.

</rant>

0 Kudos
blocker
New Contributor
New Contributor

How did you go with getting a blue 512Gb Note 9? I'd love to know if you have received it yet?

0 Kudos