cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor JodsterMollolly
New Contributor

Stolen account

HI all. My account seems to have been compromised. I got some messages regarding my username etc and I didn't request them. I then also received an email stating my details had been updated. I tried to call the centre but they were already closed so I went to online chat. They told me the centres are 24 hour, they're not. Anyway, long story short, there's some kind of order on my account that I didn't ask for and my phone is now not working. I get the error message "SIM not provisioned". The order on the account says it is complete. To me it feels like someone has stolen my account but is still expecting me to pay for it... I obviously can't call the centre in the morning and the online chat people don't seem to think anything is wrong...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Stolen account

@JodsterMollolly

I think it's pretty poor that a national Telco has no easy contact options when fraud occurs. It also seems dumb given the Telco will likely ultimately pay. Instead of stopping the fraud Optus seem to only offer redress after the fact

I would suggest you let your bank know. If someone has enough details to compromise your email account then all they need to do is possibly just ask the bank to reset your password and send the new one through. 

FWIW I don't recommend using any ISP email account. Apart from tying you to the ISP forever (or lose the email address) you get situations like this. Online options (gmail) tend to offer more features. Two Factor Authentication is a must IMO. Recovery options are also more, available, shall we say. 

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor

Thanks Peter. Looks like it could take a while to get my account back. I'll have to wait until their call centre is open to ask. 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Felicity_YC
RetiredModerator

Hi @JodsterMollolly, sorry to hear you’re having worries with the security of your account. Were you able to make contact and get to the bottom of this on the phone? If not, feel free to send me a PM.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Hi Felicity. I've been to my closest Optus shop and have a new SIM. Hackers ported my phone number and then they were able to access my password reminder measures and such. I've spoken to Optus call centre and they've put extra security one my account soon now changes can be made online and of anyone calls, they have to provide an answer to an agreed security question. Ad for the money they stole from our bank account, we just have to wait and see how long it takes to recover. 

Thanks for asking. 🙂

0 Kudos
New Contributor bornil20
New Contributor

It did not work with me. My account hacked 3 times even I set secret password. I told them to stop all type of online purchase, but they did not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately many organisations do not have a workable way to shut of your account. Mostly just banks and even they usually required a complete closing of all accounts. Any suggestion that Optus can make your accounts more secure on request is likely incorrect. Hackers have your key details and it just takes a call to the helpdesk to be 'identified' and then have new passwords and access granted.

IMO Optus just needs a way to apply a non bypassable and non resetable password on an account on request. That way a hacker would have to know your secret word as well as DOB etc.

Updating the word would require a visit in store with full 100 point identification. It would be applied optionally or in cases where a breach has occurred.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos