Searching...
Highlighted

Spam messages for yes vote

59Holden

The yes campaingners are at it with SMS spam from 0427 875 539. A link comes with the message claiming to be the location of the nearest mail box. The message includes 'STOP2optusout yes-org-au' which I assume is the option to opt out of something I didn't sign up for anyway. How do these people obtain numbers that are not listed & why do they think it is acceptable to send messages? 

Re: Spam messages for yes vote

petergdownload

Possibly Stop 2 Opt us out?

The numbers in many cases are just randomly generated. Can you have a silent mobile phone number?

As to why they think its acceptable. Well they're either well meaning misguided zealots or they're human garbage.

Either way hopefully you don't get any more messages.

NB its possible you've been signed up to a spam premium SMS rort. So check your next bill for unwanted charges (easy enough to reverse but still a process)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Giovi

Regrettably I should add my voice to those on the receiving end of such spam SMS. Militant fanatics will go to any extremes, even at the risk of breaking the law and exasperating the patience of civilised people with their in-your-face aggressive tactics. 

My suggestion would be to file a complaint with the AMCA. It might be worth it.

Giovi

Apologies, ACMA.

robcheerful

I was somewhat indifferent about the marriage survey until I received this unsolicited spam sms which I consider offensive and an invasion of privacy. Obviously this kind of intrusion is part of their idea of a “fairer Australia”.    

ecole

Yep, got spammed today. Too late, though - already voted "NO"!

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Ultimately spam just is. Its super simple to send reverse psychology spam, or even reverse reverse psychology spam. 

Decide the issue as you want. Not just as some knee jerk reaction that might be exactly the response someone else desired.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

newline

I've got two of them. Both forwarded to ACMA 0429999888. They're shooting themselves in the foot.

petergdownload

Not much point in contacting ACMA. The SMS SPAM Act only applies to commercial spam. Anyone's free to send an unsolicited SMS of their opinion.

I agree that it has been a silly mis-step in the YES campaign. Whoever thought such unsolicited lobbying would be well received needs their head read (not their SMSs)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hannah-L

Hi all, we'd just like to clarify that these messages were not sent by Optus, nor did we share anyone's personal data with the campaign organisers. A spokesperson from Australian Marriage Equality has advised the media that the messages were sent to random computer-generated numbers. For more information on how your data is protected, please see our Privacy Policy.

Post a Reply
Introducing the Optus Business Care hub

Here you’ll find a complete suite of help and support exclusively for our small and medium business customers. Read More

Top Contributors
4 Kudos
2 Kudos
2 Kudos
1 Kudo
1 Kudo