Searching...

Mobile

Samsung Note 8 and Video Calling

Vini
Hi, I recently upgraded to Note 8 from note 4 and found that the feature of video calling is missing. Is it network based feature or handset based ? Is there a way to enable video calling on Note 8 Thanks Vini

Re: Samsung Note 8 and Video Calling

SamSam

I'm quite sure Optus choose to disable it so you can't switch it on yourself unfortunately. You can use alternatives like skype, Facebook messenger, whatsapp etc just not the native video calling

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

Hey @Vini, the handset does have a native 3G video calling feature but it's not something that we currently support. With the network introduction of VoLTE (voice over LTE) Samsung has actually discontinued support for 3G video calling on Optus handsets starting from Galaxy s7 and S7 edge. When it comes to video communication as @SamSam has advised, more dynamic OTT providers such as Viber and Skype do provide an all-round better video calling experience.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Sprucekaboose

Pretty patgetic that between optus and samsung they cant provide a native video calling function considering apples had facetime for years now

Dan_C

@Sprucekaboose, that's definitely a fair point. Essentially Samsung as well as Optus have shifted their focus towards newer technologies. The simple fact of the matter is legacy network features such as 3g video calling are becoming increasingly difficult to support. The majority of our handset partners do not support 3g video calling. 3G video calling is supported on Optus Samsung handsets up to the note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge Plus.

It might be a matter of opinion but why enable a legacy video calling feature when Skype & other OTT service providers offer a far superior experience? In some markets Samsung does still support 3G video calling however this at the cost of losing other Network features such as VoLTE & WiFi calling.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Chris83

Yes but who's talking about 3G Video calls, 4G is the standard now. Native support is important, who wants to be on a call and say "hold on, let's end this call and I'll call you back via skype", that is ridicolous. Apple supports Native Facetime calls whilst on a call. I cannot see the video call option on my S9+ with an optus sim however it's there when I insert other carriers' sims.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
21 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos
17 Kudos
13 Kudos