Searching...

Mobile

Samsung Fold

Thorn

Will Optus get the Samsung Fold when it's released in Australia and will the Samsung ear buds be included in preorder. Reason I ask is I like the Samsung fold but of Optus isn't going to have it available for contract I'll get a S10+

Re: Samsung Fold

Paddylee

As no Australian release date is set you can only go by other countries where it has got a release date.

April 26 in the US and May 3 in Europe.

Going to be very expensive

Prices that areknown: $1,980 US dollars / €2,000 for the base model.

Id say $2800- 3200 - you would be looking at minimum of $150+ a month due to that.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Wow. Those are some big numbers @Paddylee 

Personally I'd go the S10+. Price aside (if you can do that) you're looking at paying $1000's for a phone that has a sole extra feature of being foldable. Cool sure, but there's got to be something better people could spend that sort of (literally) disposable income on? Also its bleeding edge technology. Leaving aside how well the hardware holds up in real life, its going to take a few generations for the on screen dynamics (software) to settle into something that really starts using it. 

As for $150 a month plan, based on those handset prices I can't see that. $150 buys you a $2000 phone plan but a $3000 one?

Peter Gillespie

Paddylee

2800/24 ~ 117, add on a base plan of $35 and your around $150 a month for a very expensive device with minimal data etc.

Thats just crazy, just for a device that "folds"

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Davelew

On top of the price there will be 2 or 3 foldable phones from other brands coming out in the next few months and I'd see what they had to offer.

To me the only way I would think of a folding phone was if I had a long commute on public transport each day and wanted entertainment to make the journey bearable. Still cheaper an iPad but you would be carrying 2 devices.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

steedo12

I hope they do bring it to Australia. I would get one. The XS Max is over $2,000 so Im sure they will bring it to Australia. 

petergdownload

The problem I see with foldables is the form factor. They all fold out to become essentially square. So most existing exntertainment offerings are not going to fit very well. What you probably want is a square shape when folded up that goes 16:9 when unfolded. Its just not going to fit in the pocket very well is all.

Peter Gillespie 

Davelew

I've already got one @petergdownload @@with a 16.9 ratio, unfolds with only the tiniest of creases, costs only $3.20, the Sydney Morning Herald

Not sure if the ratio really matters as 50% of tablets aren't 16.9 because Apple won't change.

I was on public transport today, both trains and buses, and had a nose what devices people were using and doing what. All had phones, with the occasional laptop, andI would estimate 50% were listening to music and the rest either texting or on Facebook. What  difference would a folding phone make for these activities and if you were at home you would use  your tablet or PC.i can't really see folding phones take off after the initial novelty.

Ready to be proved wrong again.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
21 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos
17 Kudos
13 Kudos