cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor desdale
New Contributor

SIM Network Unlock Pin

I have been using a valid OPTUS Sim card in my NOTE  2 (KITKAT) for over a year. No faults.

After returning from MALAYSIA yesterday I put the SIM card in and tried to use the phone.

The phone gives the message SIM Network Unlock Pin  and there is a place to enter the the code and Press the button UNLOCK.

Another button says DISMISS.

IMEI number is not reported as stolen according to OPTUS team member.

The usual things have been tried such a putting the SIM card in another unlocked phone (the SIM card works).

I have tried another valid SIM card and the same message (SIM Network Unlock Pin ) shows up on the startup of phone.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: SIM Network Unlock Pin

"SIM Network Unlock Pin" means your phone is locked to a network.

Try these steps here or contact the company that sold you the phone.

-------------------

Loyal Optus customer. My opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
New Contributor desdale
New Contributor

Thanks for speedy suggestions.

In my case entering Service Mode with *#197328640# does not work.

I can get into Service Mode using *#0011# and get the menu with BACK BACK Enter Key Q BACK Enter Key 0000

Then I can navigate MENU UMTS/DEBUG/PHONE CONTROL/NETWORK LOCK and I get three choices one of which is PERSO SHA256OFF.

I have tried several times waiting 30 seconds. and the result is SHA256_ENABLE_FLAG [0]  SHA256_OFF=>Not Change

Finally when this step is finished there is no NETWORK LOCK Menu options then the first 3 mentioned above.

Maybe a different hardware or software version?

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @desdale, is your handset a contracted handset or did you buy this outright?  Could you please also confirm if you did a factory reset? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor desdale
New Contributor

The phone was purchased outright at my wife's work. My wife used the phone on the Optus Network for at least one year. In 2014 she purchased the phone from her Employer and gifted it to me. I have never had a contract for this mobile device.

I have not done anything to the phone (like factory reset). 

The phone was unlocked from any network as of 2014 because I used a TPG sim card with the Note 2. Then in late 2015 I got my current SIM card from Optus and it had been working all that time until May 2017. So the appearance of a request for a Sim Network Unlock Pin is clearly not normal given the history of the phone.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

The only way to get it unlocked, is by getting the original owner of the phone to contact the original mobile provider to unlock the handset. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor kylerens42
New Contributor

All sim network unlock pin* questions now have their answer!

*third party software link removed by moderation

0 Kudos
New Contributor desdale
New Contributor

My wife found the receipt for the original purchase and contacted the original online vendor and got a reply from the Service department.

The vendor cannot supply an unlock code because the phone was never locked by them. It is usually the case that they sell phones unlocked.

I think that it is the mobile provider that locks the phone when they sell (for example Optus when they sell a Note2). Since Optus never sold this phone they also do not have any unlock pin.

Finally it is still a  mystery to me how the phone became locked after 5 years of being unlocked.

I use the Note2 with Wifi everyday. I have an S3 and use it with my Optus SIM as a phone.

0 Kudos