cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

S20 FE 5G Issues

Seems like the latest S20 FE 5G handset is plagued with a number of issues that are yet to be officially confirmed by Samsung.

These are (in my experience):

1. Touch screen ghost touching and poor response.

The phone exhibits poor response to multi touches and occasionally interprets single touch action as scroll and vise versa. Pinching to zoom (and holding) makes the image on the screen shake. Also swipe typing on the keyboard is very difficult.

2. Poor implementation of the proximity sensor - the screen does not always turn off when holding the phone next to the ear during a phone conversation causing the ear to press random buttons (occasionally putting the phone call on hold)

3. In pocket activation - the phone screen randomly activates in the pocket and starts dialing numbers.

NOTE: I've tried all troubleshooting steps you can imagine, including factory reset

Issue 1. is rather well documented and seems to be very widespread:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/S20-FE-touchscreen-issues/td-p/1449503

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-fe-display-problems-1167388/#:~:text=Some%20Sams....

The new software "G781BXXU1ATJ1" with the October Security patch (Released in Europe not yet By Optus) does not (according to forum posts on Samsung support) address the problem. So given the lead time for Samsung to release the fix (if it's a software issue and not hardware one) and then the time for Optus to test the new firmware, we could be looking at 1-2 months of using a faulty device.

After speaking to Optus support the only solution I was presented with is to send the phone for repair, very frustrating considering it's a 1-week old device.

35 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: S20 FE 5G Issues

G’day @Sliqu32 

I've scrolled through the threads you've mentioned as well as the S20 FE 5G hardware fault mega thread up on reddit.

There’re a few users who’ve stated that they’d purchased the device from within AUS, but I couldn’t see any mention of a specific carrier.

The last weekly Optus device updates report we received doesn’t include the October patch from Samsung - G781BXXU1ATJ1.

As for the solution you were offered, it’s not something I’d suggest – at least not at this moment. As is always the case with hardware issues reported so soon after release, we’ll need to wait until we receive acknowledge from the manufacture.

Their investigation will reveal whether it’s a specific batch that’s impacted or if all batches are impacted. We’ll then work with the manufacture to provide a remedy.

I’m happy to raise the issue from my end. When we do hear back, I’ll update this thread. I encourage anyone else who's come across this thread and experiencing the same issue to leave a comment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Looks like a new update specifically addressing the issue was released around the world "G781BXXU1ATJ5"
Hopefully this can be deployed quickly by Optus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Having the same issues with ghost touching on s20 fe 5g through optus. When are we likely to see the two firmware updates that address this issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey guys,

We've received the below updates from Samsung:

Version: G780FXXU1ATJ1 & G781BXXU1ATJ1

These two are currently being tested with a scheduled deployment date of the 30/10/20. Normally, updates are sent OTA over a period of 1-2 weeks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Disappointing that Samsung hasn't provided G781BXXU1ATJ5 which is actually meant to address the issue (although looks like it's a bit of hit and miss - https://www.reddit.com/r/Galaxy_S20/comments/jfgyr1/samsung_has_issued_a_touchscreen_issue_fix_for/?...

So we are at least a month away from "maybe" having this issue resolved in Australia

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Is there any word on when you will receive G781BXXU1ATJ5 ? I'm guessing a couple weeks at least
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Managed to get G781BXXU1ATJ5 installed on my phone last night, touch screen definitely improved, but still getting cross touches/ghost touches in the screen test app while swiping with two fingers. Seems like a hardware issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How did you get G781BXXU1ATJ5? Can we install these updates manually?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah it's relatively straight forward, I used THL (Thailand region) because the multi csc matched Australia. But regardless the CSC stayed with Optus even after the update.
Google how to install stock rom on S20, there are plenty of guides and no, it doesn't void your warranty (can always restore to original firmware)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors