cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor prb1
New Contributor

Prepaid Data Usage When Mobile Data is off

I am on an Optus Prepaid Daily 3G 'plan' . I am supposed to only get $3 a day deducted if I initiate a call, message or use data.  My phone is set to mobile data off and data saver is on. I am connected to WIFI when at home. My question is  - Is it possible to still have a data use with Optus (and therefore be charged $3 every day by Optus) if I have mobile data off  etc.  

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Prepaid Data Usage When Mobile Data is off

You still have to pay the $3 per day, you don't get it for free "if you dont use it".

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
New Contributor prb1
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy  but no, you don't have to pay the $3 a day if you don't use it.

"You only pay the usage fee on the days you use the service. The $3 fee is deducted from your credit when you make the first outbound standard national call, SMS or MMS, when you access Voicemail or use mobile internet data after 12:00am (local time). You are not charged on the days you do not use the service for any of these usage types."

http://smb.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/All/cis/Cis%20Documents/1390050_CIS_Optus_Optus_Prepaid_Daily_3...

My question was because I was suddenly being charged $3 daily for using data, when my mobile data was turned off on my phone and I was connected to WIFI at home. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Just because “data is offline” does not mean your device doesn’t generate a request.

what phone is it? 

As both iphone and android devices often have wifi assist which when the signal is weak or slow, that it shifts to using data.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
New Contributor prb1
New Contributor

Nokia 8 and 'switch to mobile data automatically' is set to off.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors