cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Overcharging after payment plan over

"Yep. They're obviously better at reading posts than me."

Exactly.

"If you want some assistance then perhaps ask a for it."

Refer to previous established fact re not reading statements (in which I outlined ALL the attempts I've made to seek help) before posting. Also note my initial comment was in empathy with another poster who has the exact issue as myself. The whole point was that OPTUS won't help *despite all our efforts*.

"If you just want to vent then you have the floor."

If you don't want someone to respond to you DON'T REPLY TO STATEMENTS YOU HAVEN'T BOTHERED READING.

I won't be reading any further from you. You're clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Firstly...THANK YOU!!!! I don't know if you're employed by OPTUS but you've ALREADY been more helpful than ALL the others (who werent at all interested in trying to help).

MMS issue: I'm so relieved and hopeful you say it's (at this point) something you can fix. ALL APPROACHES TO OPTUS WERE MET WITH "there's nothing you can do about it". I'd really appreciate any tips/advice/instructions/telepathic magic you can share. My phone's a Samsung galaxy S4  GT-19507  .....is that enough info?! Sorry if not. I'm not techno savy but can usually muddle through instructions(!).

The contract issue: it doesn't make any difference now. As I've said previously, the assistant at one OPTUS store admitted they only do the courtesy of alerting customers who potentially bring in more money. I certainly didn't receive increased communication or info about my options as my contract expired. 

Anyway....any help you can provide about fixing MMS (so I can send pics to UK as I've done on this phn for years) would be greatly appreciated!!! 😊

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello. Can.someone pls let me know if a reply (providing the instructions referred to in Dan's msg) is forthcoming.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @MelCat, I've just replied back to your private message. I've been away from the office the last few days and I've just arrived back in tonight. We'll chat with you there. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Over the past couple of months I had discovered that I was still being charged plan rates when my plan had finished Christmas Eve of last year.  Although I received a new prepaid phone for Christmas I had wanted to keep the old phone and number on a pay by call / usage basis.  Unfortunately today I was ‘forced’ disconnect my previous number as Optus wanted me to continue paying $80 per month.  When mobile phones first came out and our plans ended we were then charged by call, yes it was slightly more expensive but it worked.  We need to go back to that system when our plans have expired as I want my old number back as well as the one I now have as there are some people/ organisations that I do not want having my new number.  I do not appreciate people taking control.  The argument from the telco’s has been that they are unable to leave a person uncontactable, yes they can, they have no right to continually charge a person after the contract has finished.  They need to assume that the customer has gone elsewhere and leave it at that and let them have their bloody number and pay their bill as per usage not plan like the good ole days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Squizzpop 

Its a bit of swings and windmills. I agree that Telcos should definitely give customers the chance to sign binding and finite deals. IMO excess usage charges are an abomination. If I sign up to pay $40 a month for 20Gb I should be able to do that, instead many Telcos will charge huge rates (1000%) for unwanted accidental data.

That said a contract is a contract and you do enter into it. In this case the rolling over of a contract to a month to month proposition is pretty standard and convienient. Optus will cancel the contract on the date you ask, if you ask). Worst case you pay a few $ more for not telling them its over.

As for your number, porting it is a legal obligation and I'm not sure why you lost it. It may still be available if you request it. All you need do is tell your new provider to request the number as part of signing up. Optus can't refuse or deny, even if you owe $1000's or they want you to remain in contract. There seems to be a miscommunication there.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I lost the number because I stated that with my new phone (which was a Christmas Present) that I got another number with that phone, my intention was to keep both, using the old phone sparingly on a pay as I go, no plan basis, but I was told that the number would be disconnected, I did tell them that I was not happy as I did not want all my contacts having my new number, the response was an uneasy “mm” and the number was disconnected less than two hours later.  I do have the right to two numbers if I so desire, I do not appreciate being told otherwise.  I need the Optus number (my original phone number) back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It does seem to be a miscommunication. 

Normal Optus practice is to keep a plan and the number going. 

Totally seperate to this is you ordering a new phone and number.

I'm not sure why your contacts would know your new number unless you gave it to them?

Somehow it seems Optus got the idea you wanted to end your old plan?

FWIW Plans are generally expensive for using sparingly. You'd probably be better moving the old number to a Long Life PrePaid Optus plan ($5 a month with 365 day renewal period)

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors