cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Overcharging after payment plan over

Whilst enquiring about the iPhone 8 yesterday I was told because I own my phone that I could be on a program for $25 per month for the usage I generally use. Considering I have been paying $60 per month for almost 12 months I am really ticked off that no one from Optus telling me that when my plan and contract was over. I have effectively paid $420 over the year that needed.

Has  anyone else encountered this lack of service and incorrect advise offer when finishing a contract. 

I am seriously considering changing. I have telstra at home and they frequently call to update and make sure the plan suits.

17 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Overcharging after payment plan over

Ideally Optus should be running simple scans over their existing customer contracts and seeing if better options might apply. But in practice Optus just roll all their contracts over to a month to month duplicate and its up to the customer to check out any recent offers. 

FWIW many businesses now operate on a lazy tax basis (either not dropping prices down the track, or actually raising them considerably after the honeymoon period (12-24 months) has passed - see car insurance or your electricty bill for prime examples. All it usually takes is a quick call or at worst just switch to a new provider but for many busy people its too much hassle.

I've found a simple google account and using the calander (or KEEP) is very effective. Any sort of deal like this I enter into I just set a reminder to pop up in 11 months to review / call to check what's happening. 

Works for me

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Morning Rong8888,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. We apologise that no one has reached out to you sooner to review you invoices/plan.

We do have teams here at Optus that call our longer term customer to ensure they're on the correct plan. That being said @petergdownload has suggested a good practice, in which you could keep a reminder to yourself when your end of contract date is and contact Optus either via Yes Crowd, Live Chat here →  http://yesopt.us/chat2us or by giving us a call.

If you'd like me to review your account today and suggest a plan from there, please PM me and confirm your mobile number, full name and DOB. 

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

THE SAME THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME!

I realised my 24 mth contract ended Nov 2016. When I asked about this the guy (at Inala OPTUS, Brisbane) said I can now pay $40/mth instead of the $60 I'd been paying. I've been ripped off about $25😠. I asked someone at the Brisbane OPTUS  (while there for a different issue!) why OPTUS don't alert customers when contracts end & I was told "we only do that for a 'certain' target market". I clarified: "you mean only if its financially benefitial to OPTUS".....her reply: a sheepish "yes". I'VE BEEN AN OPTUS CUSTOMER FOR 12 YEARS. Loyalty (nor good customer service) means nothing to OPTUS. I'm starting to research offers by other providers. 

PS the services received for the cheaper plan I'm on now states "MMS included"....yet I haven't been able to send pics or texts including emojis since the plan was activated. So basically it's FALSE ADVERTISING by OPTUS 😠

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@MelCat

Optus offers are quite complex and involve different discounts in different areas (Perhaps more Gb for the same cost, perhaps free EPL, etc.) Its not easy comparing plans and deciding another one is better than your current one. 

The contract rolls into month to month and it works both ways. Lots of Optus customers are on 'grandfathered' plans that are much cheaper than current offerings.

FWIW any contract I enter into these days (electricity, phone, gift certificate etc.) I just put an entry in my calendar/reminders to review 11 months down the track. It might be nice if Optus sent a reminder themselves but I don't think its their job to second guess your financial decisions.

FWIW the MMS Included refers to the fact you don't get charged for MMS. The fact its not working on your phone is likely some settings issue (either on your phone or at Optus end). 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Peter with all due respect your reply was condescending and filled with erroneous assumptions. Did you even read ALL my comment?

To properly respond to your obnoxious blurb would take a very lengthy thesis - and would make no difference to my issues (as I've learnt over the past few weeks dealing with OPTUS). I'll just say this: 

1.  MMS  stopped working on my phone when.the OPTUS guy changed my plan. I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING INCL TAKING IT INTO OPTUS BUT THEY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT'S WRONG. You seem to know how to fix it....great. Noone I've asked at OPTUS knows or just fobbed me off. Meanwhile I'm paying them for a service THAT'S INCLUDED IN MY CONTRACT AS PART OF THEIR SERVICE YET UNAVAILABLE TO ME. I've tried everything. OPTUS don't care. Your comment suggests it's easily rectified. I assumed same. You just confirmed my point: OPTUS folk either don't know basic phone troubleshooting or just don't care about their customers.

2. I assure you I'm perfectly capable of organising - which includes use of my phn calender. Which is why I was aghast last week when the girl at Brisbane OPTUS *WIPED MY CALENDER & CONTACTS* while trying to 'fix" my 'no MMS' issue. ALL CALENDER - FROM 2YRS AGO TIL END OF 2018 ENTRIES **GONE**. All phn contacts - both personal and business related: **GONE**. Luckily BEING SO ORGANISED I use manual organising tools in tandem so I can still refer to those. It's just inconvenient having to carry diaries and address books around. I've managed to (very successfully) complete years of study and juggle work and family obligations. Your assumption I need assistance is insulting AND IGNORES THE SIMPLE FACT OPTUS GIRL ADMITTED THEY ALERT *SOME* CUSTOMERS AS IT SUITS THEMSELF. I suspect if OPTUS was LOSING money once a contract ended they'd alert the customer immediately. Allowing customers to pay uneccesarilly higher rates shows complete apathy for customer service.

This is the succinct version of my response to your. Lengthier monologue's not possible as my phn battery dies quickly since OPTUS 'assistance' fiddled with my phone - along with deleting my contacts and calender entries I now also have charging and memory/storage problems.

Yep.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I can't speak to your capability or otherwise, of course assumptions are required when talking to total strangers. You assume Optus contact you only if you're plan is too cheap - they don't. I'm sure Optus do send out targetted campains every now and again but there's nothing sinister or unusual in that. 

FWIW My post simply tried to address the two issues you raised. Provide some rationale and perhaps narrow down your search for your calander problem. Forum answers are not just for you but can also be useful for other people who are searching/reading and may not be as capable or organised.

On your follow up post, its highly recommended to back up all data whenever you take your phone to get updated or repaired (Horse bolted I know). I'd also recomend using an online calander / email service if you can in the future - lots of benefits. I don't know what system you were using but if its tied to Optus in some way then its possible the data is still available. However you've yet to actually ask a question, so I suppose others were correct that you really didn't want a response in the first place? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

"Others were correct"? Which others? Others on this forum? Noone else has replied to this thread but you. If you mean OPTUS...seriously??!! You really should read statements before you reply(!).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Others on this forum? Noone else has replied to this thread but you."

Yep. They're obviously better at reading posts than me. 

If you want some assistance then perhaps ask a for it. If you just want to vent then you have the floor.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @MelCat, I'll try and address both of your best enquiries to the best of my ability.

In regards to the MMS issue, this is something that we can definitely offer some assistance with. What @petergdownload has advised is likely the case here. Had you made contact with us when you'd first noticed that you were unable to successfully send an MMS message? It might be a good idea to check whether MMS for use on the Optus network has been correctly configured. You can do this by accessing the network settings on the device itself. I can send through instructions if you like? They'll differ depending on the make and model of handset you're using. There could also be back end issue that's somehow disabled MMS however it's not one we see very often.

In regards to point two, once your contract term has come to an end we'll generally make contact in form or another. We might not explicitly say that your contract has ended but you might start receiving marketing communication with our new deal or offers. Our existing SIM only offers are no secret. You're always welcome to enquire about any of our new current offer at any time. We also have a sales team who are often on outbound campaigns proactively contacting customers nearing the end of their contracts. You can also find your contract end date online via self-serve → Optus.com.au/myaccount. We have a large customer base all with different contract expiry dates. We don't have the numbers to proactively call each and every customer to advise them of their contract end date.

If you'd like to chat with us privately, you can always private message either myself or one of our other moderators.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Top Contributors