Searching...

Mobile

Optus please help me flash my Mate 20 Pro back to stock.

MrFixIt

Hi Optus

Back when we were stuck on version 122, I foolishly upgraded my phone outside the usual channels. Not such a big deal with Samsung, or Sony handsets, but not adviseable on the Huawei.

Anyway, I need to get it flashed back to stock. Optus will  have the appropriate dload file with C212 C34E11R1P16 firmware. I have called Huawei support and they have no clue. I can't seem to find anyone at Optus who knows what I mean, so I can't even take the phone to Optus to get it flashed.

I am hoping some smart Optus person on this page can either give me the dload file. I have had plenty of experience using them by now Smiley Sad. Alternatively give me a contact of someone in WA who can flash the phone back to stock. It is a 10 minute process if you have the right file.

Re: Optus please help me flash my Mate 20 Pro back to stock.

petergdownload

Sorry, but this is not something Optus will be able to help you with. Once you decide to modify your phone then you're essentially on your own. Possibly someone will see your post and be able to provide some pointers / file but at this stage you probably need to look back outside usual channels. FW Upgrade 101 is having a stock version available.

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
MrFixIt

That's a pretty poor answer. You have the firmware and you won't help a customer fix their phone?

If Optus updated the firmware in a timely manner in the first place, I and many others wouldn't be in this situation. I bought the phone in November and the face unlock didn't officially work properly on an Optus handset until April. Great way to lose customers!

petergdownload

I'm not Optus. I don't have any FW.

Flashing phones is a risky business and once you start down that path you are going off the reservation - there's a reason every instruction site on how to flash phones says they won't be held responsible for anything if it goes wrong.  I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you this time. As I said, someone might reach out if they spot your post but its just unlikely is all I'm saying. Perhaps try Optus Facebook or Twitter sites as they may be more responsive. 

Peter Gillespie

MrFixIt

OK, so here's the thing Peter

1. I have not unlocked the bootloader, rooted the phone, et, so the phone is intact. It works fine, but because of the combination of the custom, pre-boot and firmware files, there is a CTS mismatch and I can't use Google Pay. The change I have made is minimal and with the correct (Optus specific) firmware files ONLY available from Optus, I can flash it back.

2. If I dropped the phone and broke the glass, or some other physical issue, I could take it to Optus and they would repair it, at a cost.

I am in a situation where the phone is working perfectly and with the right software on a USB stick and 10 minutes of time it would be on version 212 with the matching Optus region files and it would be hunky dory. Only Optus can supply these files. I go to Huawei and they tell me to go to Optus. They tell me that any Optus store should be able to fix it. Optus stores have no idea. They are sales people. They don't even know where to send it. 

This is a very costly phone. I have been a loyal Optus customer for many years. I have owned an I.T. business for nearly 30 years and run a fleet of Optus handsets. I am electronics technician with 40 years experience. I have a clue. 

This is just very poor customer service by both Optus and Huawei. The firmware is with Optus as they have their custom firmwares, but the problem is due to the way the Huawei works. If the files get out of sync, OTA updates don't work. I should not have listened to the company that I paid $40 to who assured me that OTA updates will not be affected, but I did. Lesson learned. I don't mind paying a fair hourly rate to have it fixed.

However Optus should not sell a handset, that is not fit for purpose and then write off  a customer who is seeking to remedy an issue that Optus is not showing any signs of doing themselves. In the 5+ months it took for Optus to release version 212 in April (from122 that was released late October), there were several updates on the unbranded Australian handsets and dozens worldwide. The most notable was that the 3d face recognition was not working properly and there was a bunch of other security updates. This is not acceptable in a world where security is paramount. Had Optus done the updates in a timely manner, I would have left the phone to do its own thing as I have done with my previous Samsung handsets.

I will get on the Optus Facebook page and rally the Australian troops on XDA to do the same and make lots of noise. This is a stupid situation that could very simply be rectified.

petergdownload

"Optus stores have no idea. They are sales people. They don't even know where to send it"

This is all I'm alluding to. IFAIK Optus simply has no process to achieve what you want to do. There's no place to send a phone. No fee schedule in the system. No-one can help you even if they wanted to. For all we know firmware updates are handled in a backroom in Singapore.

"However Optus should not sell a handset, that is not fit for purpose and then write off  a customer who is seeking to remedy an issue that Optus is not showing any signs of doing themselves"

Two different things there. Definitely you had lots of legal protection via consumer law to return the phone for a refund, replacement or repair (I recently returned 4 Pixel 3 phones (the last for a refund) as all of them had issues with the microphone and making intelligible calls). However as you took matters into your own hands then you can easily lose those protections.

But this really isn't about consumer protections - I just don't think Optus can give you what you want. Defnitely raise the word on other platforms and hopefully some mod or hacker can put you in touch with the back room in Sinapore.

Peter Gillespie

SteveV

How did you go @MrFixIt I have known of one person took their m20p in same boat as u in claiming it reboots without reason. They sent away and it came back with stock fw again

MrFixIt

"This is all I'm alluding to. IFAIK Optus simply has no process to achieve what you want to do. There's no place to send a phone. No fee schedule in the system. No-one can help you even if they wanted to. For all we know firmware updates are handled in a backroom in Singapore."

But they do know Peter. They were going to send the phone to get done and they wanted me to accept a quote for $507 to do it. That is my beef.

MrFixIt

Hi Steve

Yes it is fixed. I had to make a lot of calls to Huawei over a couple of months with lots of platitudes and assurances that it would be done over the air. In the end they let me take it back. After sending it back the first time no fault found and waiting another month, they finally flashed it to 9.1.0.302 and it is certified again.

Ironically, the day they told me they fixed it, I found a leaked version of the full firmware via a user on XDA Developers, which I have downloaded and I will put in a very safe place.

petergdownload

"But they do know Peter. They were going to send the phone to get done and they wanted me to accept a quote for $507 to do it. That is my beef". 

Well if that's your beef its the first you've mentioned it. Congrats on finding someone who both new what you were talking about and also where it could be rectified. Not sure if you ended up talking to people behind the scenes or just the usual customer support people, if the later then I would take it with a grain of salt still that Optus would somehow flash your phone with their internal copy of the firmware. Every likelyhood the guy just ticked the "Major Repair" option and it still would have had heads being scratched wherever it got sent to. But we'll never know as you didn't take up the option ($500 seems pretty excessive to me too)

Anyway, I'm glad you did find a resolution and presumably learned some tricks along the way without it costing you in the end. 

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
21 Kudos
17 Kudos
17 Kudos
15 Kudos
13 Kudos