cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
blucat2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus X-Lite can connect to PC via USB cable, transfer files, but no software for texting ..

Hi all. I just thought I would share this. I have an Optus X-Lite, but it does not come with a USB cable, just a charger. The texting function, adding contacts etc, is terrible, I do not recommend this phone. However me being me, I bought a USB cable and plugged it into my desktop. Guess what? The phone comes up with 3 options, selectable from the phone.

1 - Charging. (Default.)

2 - USB. If you select USB then the phone becomes like a USB drive, and you can transfer files from/to it. This is great for me as I don't have Bluetooth.

3 - PC Connecting. If you select this the PC says found new hardware and looks for installation software. I was hoping .. but the phone didn't auto-install any software, and I have been unable to find any. I think they were going to add this feature which would have been great (like my Huawei U1250), which allows you to text, and edit contacts from the PC keyboard. (Sooo much better) and also use the PC software to edit (and back and restore) contacts. Unfortunately I haven't found any software, I think they probably dropped it in mid-design, like the games. Without it, the phone is terrible. Does *anyone* know (Ray_YC can you check?) if there is software available as the original design spec obviously included it. Then texting and editing contacts would be useable, as it is, it's terrible.

Anyway, a fun fact, if anyone can find software for this please let us know here, Ray_YC, can you check?

Thanks all, and have a nice day.

blucat2

0 Kudos
10 Replies
J0smith
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus X-Lite can connect to PC via USB cable, transfer files, but no software for texting ..

i have been looking also, no luck

TLC communication makes the phone 

8030t

alcatel phone 

0 Kudos
blucat2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus X-Lite can connect to PC via USB cable, transfer files, but no software for texting ..

Hi JOsmith, welcome to Yes Crowd, a fairly useless place to find yourself. 🙂

As I said, Alcatel had planned to make a PC Suite (and games) software but cancelled it midway through. This is from Alcatel themselves. They say it was never written. I mainly want texting with a desktop keyboard but my only chance would be to find some phreakers who have written the software. That's unlikely as this phone is not of interest to most people, they are working on new OSs for smartphones. (But you might get lucky as you just need a function (call record) that has been written before in the OS, and kaiOS code is freely available - please post here if you find anything).

I tried for months to get Virgin/Optus/Huawei to unlock my Huawei U1250 (Australian version hardware locked to Virgin SIMs I finally concluded) before I gave up. There is a reward on Gumtree if anyone can do it. If you can find an unlocked Huawei U1250 in VGC I will give you $200 for it. I tried hackers and unlockers, even a hardware tech from Huawei said it couldn't be done. Optus was good for 20 years but since SingTel bought them they have gone to s***e. You can forget about getting any help from Optus via Yes Crowd, chat, or phone. They want you to buy a smartphone and will not help you in any way to keep using a feature phone, they will even lie and say you need a smartphone when you don't. I haven't been here for 10 months, just came here as I got notified about your reply.

I have an Optus X-Lite 2038x, and it DOES have the record a call feature, but of course it's only 3G. It's running Thread-X.

Soon all smartphones will have an expiry date and every 2-3 years everyone will HAVE to buy new ones. I don't want a smartphone either and am resisting this as long as possible. I suggest you buy a few non-smartphones with removable batteries running not-Android-not-iOS. (And get a landline.) Spend the money and buy that Alcatel 3080, and maybe a few others, a 2038x (only good as long as Optus maintains 3G), and a Nokia 800 Tough or something. They are all disgusting cheap junk, ALL of them, Optus, Telstra, Nokia, Alcatel .. I spent ages reviewing all of them and there isn't a decent one in the whole lot. Again to make you buy a smartphone. I haven't found any new feature phones that will text through the PC (and other functions of PC Suite) so just keep using the 2038x.

So forget help from Optus or Alcatel, trying will just frustrate you. I dare them to now go and prove me wrong. I have told this to others only to watch them do what I did, and end up broken spirits. Go to the hackers and phreakers. Good luck.

0 Kudos
blucat2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I tried to post a long response but it was rather disparaging to Optus and they won't allow it, so I will try a shorter nicer one.

Alcatel had planned to make a PC Suite (and games) software but cancelled it midway through. This is from Alcatel themselves. They say it was never written. I mainly want texting with a desktop keyboard but my only chance would be to find some phreakers who have written the software. That's unlikely as this phone is not of interest to most people, they are working on new OSs for smartphones. (But you might get lucky as you just need a function (call record) that has been written before in the OS, and kaiOS code is freely available - please post here if you find anything).

I tried for months to get Virgin/Optus/Huawei to unlock my Huawei U1250 (Australian version hardware locked to Virgin SIMs I finally concluded) before I gave up. There is a reward on Gumtree if anyone can do it. If you can find an unlocked Huawei U1250 in VGC I will give you $200 for it. I tried hackers and unlockers, even a hardware tech from Huawei said it couldn't be done. Optus was good for 20 years but since SingTel bought them they have gone bad. You can forget about getting any help from Optus via Yes Crowd, chat, or phone. They want you to buy a smartphone and will not help you in any way to keep using a feature phone, they will even lie and say you need a smartphone when you don't.

I have an Optus X-Lite 2038x, and it DOES have the record a call feature, but of course it's only 3G. It's running Thread-X.

Soon all smartphones will have an expiry date and every 2-3 years everyone will HAVE to buy new ones. I don't want a smartphone either and am resisting this as long as possible. I suggest you buy a few non-smartphones with removable batteries running not-Android-not-iOS. (And get a landline.) Spend the money and buy that Alcatel 3080, and maybe a few others, a 2038x (only good as long as Optus maintains 3G), and a Nokia 800 Tough or something. They are all disgusting cheap junk, ALL of them, Optus, Telstra, Nokia, Alcatel .. I spent ages reviewing all of them and there isn't a decent one in the whole lot. Again to make you buy a smartphone. I haven't found any new feature phones that will text through the PC (and other functions of PC Suite) so just keep using the 2038x.

So forget help from Optus or Alcatel, trying will just frustrate you. I dare them to now go and prove me wrong. I have told this to others only to watch them do what I did, and end up broken spirits. Go to the hackers and phreakers. Good luck.

0 Kudos
blucat2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi JOsmith, I have been trying to reply but Optus won't allow it. Shorter versions, fail, again very short. My 2038x has call record, but it's only 3G, runs Thread-X not kaiOS. There is no Alcatal or Optus software, it was cancelled mid-design. I doubt any hacker or phreaker has written it. I'm out of luck (I want to text from the PC keyboard mainly, and more) but you might find something as call rec ord was there and the kaiOS source code is freely available. Don't expect any help here, you'll just get frustrated as we all have, and *please* don't try chat, you will regret it, go to the hackers and phreakers. Good luck. We'll see if this gets posted.

0 Kudos
J0smith
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

i was just looking for a current cheap phone that can call\txt and record calls. and can be backed up so if it breaks replace  and restore.

the old nokias that can do this are more expensive then new candy bar type phones.

the 2038x has a the what i wanted but no backup function\ pc sync. small battery and ugly os.

the 3080t has a nice os, no record. sh1t txt layout that can be changed and no backup sync either.

the 3080t would have been perfect price if it just did recording and sync

the alcatel 3080 says in the manual it can record but i cant confirm anywhere and it cost more and has no sync backup which just makes the risk of damaged a loss.

looking at nokia 225, 800 , 8000. they cost more but they are doing what i need.

cant win.

0 Kudos
J0smith
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

just notices the Optus lite 4g  DOES NOT save sent msg or export them up... WTF

what moron designed this thing

0 Kudos
blucat2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm pretty sure they aren't morons, they are taking the p***. They want you to buy a smartphone. All other options are being deliberately made badly. They mess you around and laugh at you. Definitely has been happening since Singtel bought Optus. Optus were great for 20 years, I loved the old Optus, but they are gone. You said the old Nokias do what you want but cost more. What old Nokias? The old old ones are gone, and the new-old ones don't sync, unless you can find one that runs the generic PC-Suite, and that's not easy to setup, but it's only 5000 and up that do that, the 225 or 800 won't. And they are all made cheap, the tough is anything but. Let me know what you did. I'm broken, I have given up.

Oh, and sorry about the 3 messages. Some bug, I couldn't see the post so tried again. Only the next day did it show up. I can't delete it now. Welcome to the new Optus.

0 Kudos
J0smith
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

further more, even with a sdcard the optus lite x will only save 100 msg in phone 50 sim

wtf....

then you need to backup to a txt file which has no sent msg saved..

absolute garbage

nokia c2-01

nokia c5-00/01

nokia  asha 300

have not tested the newer ones, to hard to get and much for a "cheap" phone

0 Kudos
J0smith
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Top Contributors