cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Optus Sport on Sony Android TV Playback Issues

I am experiencing the same problem. The app worked when I first installed it and I watched a few games but now I have the problem every time. Unlike others, I also get the stutter when I chromecast games to the TV's built in chromecast. I don't have any problems for anything else I cast to the TV. I have now plugged a standalone Chromecast puck device into the same TV and I can cast Optus Sport through that fine. This suggests that Sony TV has some problem handling some strange encoding or buffering that is specific to Optus Sport. I expect this to be one of those problems where Optus will be in denial and Sony won't care because it a small user base, so nothing will happen. Probably the only solution is to use an external chromecast until you replace your TV with a non-Sony.
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

unfortunately it doesn't surprise me in the slightest, hence why I've not bothered to contact support, same old pathetic attempts, well done for persevering though!! I wonder if this is only limited to Sony tvs? Anyone tried contacting Sony to find out?!? 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

thanks for the tips, I reckon you're right on the money re: both Optus and Sony, great to see there's a work around
Highlighted

Hi @Caonp, If you're still experiencing any issues with viewing Optus Sport, please contact our support team by raising an Optus Sport Support Case via the Optus Sport App. Our Optus Sport Support Team will then be able to follow up on your enquiry from there. Jack

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have. They have simply stated that if content from other apps play as per normal, they cannot see how it can be an issue on their end. Does any other TV manufacturer use Android TV?
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes please open a case because they do not use Yes Crowd as a reference to see how many have this problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It's 100% the SONY app. I run Optus sport on my bedroom tv (Samsung TU1000) and it works flawlessly on wi-fi upstairs.

Doesn't matter what I watch on my Sony Bravia is just stutters - live streams, on demand, mini matches. Wifi or Ethernet, same issue. Tried everything.

Watch on my phone on my network and it's fine.

Cmon Optus get this fixed!!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I don’t get the stutter when I use the in-build chromecast but it does take a few mins to buffer before it plays uninterrupted. That said, I still think it’s an Optus issue. If all other app providers do share this issue, it’s up to Optus to figure it out. That’s if they want to keep their clientele. I can’t see why Sony should investigate this on their own. They should help but surely Optus should reach out for it and GET THIS FIXED! From Optus, I’ve been asked all sorts of weird stuff like to play the content in med to low definition to permanently adjust the refresh rate on my tv (neither work by the way). Pathetic response and support.
Highlighted

G'day @Savvy82, its not great to see that you are having issues viewing Optus Sport. I actually use a Chromecast onto my  TV to watch the matches as well and have personally found no issues doing so, so it is rather odd that you were having issues.

In saying that though, the buffer before the game plays may just be a slight delay as your TV is trying to catch up on live content and interpret the streams in real time. 

Depending on your TV as well as it model can also play a factor in broadcasting from a Chromecast. Although, whilst I can appreciate that this can be rather taxing, I would recommend checking the settings of  your smart TV, Chromecast device as well as internet connection just to make sure everything was in spec and that they were all communicating with one another effectively 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yep resolution makes no difference which proves it's nothing to do with connection speed/ISP/router etc.

It's definitely the Optus App specifically on Sony TV's. It's not a Sony issue at all. You are spot on. 

Also when I cast the Optus App from my Android phone to my Sony TV it works fine.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors