Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor dbd121
New Contributor

Opt out of Optus controlled updates

Hi,

To say I'm un-impressed with the speed at which Optus approve updates for my device is an understatement - Yesterday I received the November security update whereas other AUS networks and carrier free phones in AUS are now onEMUI 10. My very old carrier free Samsung S7 even has the december security update.

I doubt that Optus will ever meet my expectations so I'm wondering if there is a possibility of releasing my phone to allow it to receive updates as if it was carrier free. I'd happily sign any sort of disclaimer stating that I only have the manufacturer's warranty to rely on.

This would then put me in the same boat as my previous phone that I bought carrier free, so I don't feel I'd lose any support.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Opt out of Optus controlled updates

It's the warranty that gets you. You can flash the stock version of the software to your handset but I'm not clear on if that means your warranty is void to. If it doesn't void your warranty, it would do exactly what you're asking for

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It may technically void warranty (in practice its not something they'd usually check IME) but retailers can't skirt the ACL laws and so long as the issue isn't oviously related to the FW then they still need to back the device (i.e. they couldn't claim not to cover water leakage by saying the FW is not stock)
0 Kudos
New Contributor dbd121
New Contributor

Thanks both, I appreciate the help but I'm not looking flash firmware myself, there's too many issues around Google pay potentially not working and I also use my device for work purposes so it wouldn't go down too well.

I'd much rather Optus provide a solution that allows me to receive over the air updates as soon as Huawei release them.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Yes its called purchase the phone outright where its unbranded, then use a sim only plan.

Devices sold though Optus comes direct from the manufacturer, their isn't some Optus warehouse that flashes the phones from stock to the Optus branded firmware.

Unless your open to purchasing an iPhone (all updates controlled by Apple).
Actually the Pixel range also isnt branded, so thats your Android option.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor dbd121
New Contributor

Paddy, your response is completely unhelpful and unnecessary. It does tell me these forums are not for me though.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Pixel for me for just this reason.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Paddylee is spot on whether you want to admit or not. The issue is Optus purchase an set amount of handsets at a Pricepoint they review and implement their changes to the fw. My experience with Huawei the flashing of the rom locked me out of the ota updates. And Huawei will not push non carrier fw to a branded handset.
0 Kudos