Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Oppo F1s bands disabled by default

DD13

My son bought me an Oppo F1s for christmas. Great phone. The Optus store staff assured him that it could be unlocked to work with other carriers. After some initial problems unlocking, the local store staff helped us get it unlocked. All was working fine with my AMAYSIM SIM (they're on the Optus network). I recently changed to Aldi Mobile (on the Telstra network) and have been having poor reception issues. After some research I find that Optus disables the other carrier bands (specifically UMTS - WCDMA-CLR-850, and LTE Mode Bands 5 and 8). I can go into Engineer mode and re-enable these bands, but they reset to disabled whenever the phone is switched on again.

Optus, have you got a fix for this please?

Re: Oppo F1s bands disabled by default

Nam_L

Hey DD13, thanks for touching base with us. 

Generally our Prepaid phones are locked to our network. If you'd wish to unlock this please visit this page → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/how-to-unlock-your-mobile-device-from-the-optus-network?...

Please let us know if you still need help,

DD13

sorry, not helpful. As mentioned in my post the phone is "unlocked" now. We've been through that nightmare already when we bought the phone.

The problem is that, although it is "unlocked", Optus originally made changes to these phones to disable other carrier bands that Optus does not use. So if I put in a Telstra SIM now it doesn't have access to those bands specifically mentioned in my post, resulting in intermittent reception, and no reception in some areas. I can enable them in Engineering mode, but they automatically disable again whenever the phone is power cycled.

So, I bought this phone after Optus Store staff assured us that it could be unlocked. What they didn't mention was that Optus had crippled the phones when used on other networks. Searching Whirlpool forum reveals that this issue was known by Optus in early 2016.

Toomey

Hey @DD13, really sorry for the confusion caused when the device was purchased. You should be able to access all the bands mentioned in the specifications on our website. Although the device can be unlocked to accept any SIM, we wouldn't be able to guarantee any usage outside of the specifications I'm afraid.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

DD13

yes, I'm now aware of the Optus specifications, but unfortunately I looked at the specifications for the phone on the Oppo site. I didn't imagine Optus would purposely modify the phone to hinder their use on other carrier networks, even though they market that they can be unlocked and used on other network. Verges on dishonest behaviour by Optus.

The easiest option for me would be to just change to a provider that uses the Optus network, such as Coles Mobile, but why should I settle for that?!  I think my next option is to make a complaint under Australian Consumer Law siting dishonest practice by Optus.

Toomey

I'm really sorry there isn't more I can do to help from my end, hopefully this thread will help others avoid this situation. I've also had your comments tagged for feedback. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

BURNIT

I have recently been dragged down this dead end track! 

Simply burn the phone (as in its resent form it is worth less than 1/3 of what you paid) making sure to video the "phone burning ritual" and put it on Youtube to embarrass both OPPO and OPTUS for their anti-aussie sentiment involving selling phones effectively "clamped" for the life of the phone. 

Neither company is prepared to offer a remedy so both should be banned from selling this package in Australia, and the Government regulations which allowed this to happen should be amended ASAP.

I have lodged a complaint with ACCC regarding anti-competitive behaviour, and will report to Fair Trading today. I have requested support from THE CHECKOUT and hope to have my ritualistic burning featured on consumer this show in the near future.

These are two companies I will never deal with again.

CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ENDEAVOURS!!!!!

BURNIT

SHAME ON YOU OPPO FOR SUPPLYING PHONES TO NETWORK COMPANIES WITH SUCH SELFISH RESTRICTIONS.......I THOUGHT YOU WERE BETTER THAN THAT!!!!!

BELIGERENCE FROM OPTUS...JUST ANOTHER CASE?????  SAY NO MORE.

DD13

When I returned to the Optus store the manager knew nothing about Optus disabling these bands. He was not very happy that they would do this. He refunded my money and I bought a new unlocked Oppo F1s from Officeworks.

[ Edited ]
BennyBoy123

*COMMENT REMOVED FOR BREACHING COMMUNITY GUIDELINES*

Be respectful and courteous of others. Respect the fact that everyone has different opinions. Debates should be healthy and not offensive

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
69 Kudos
64 Kudos
40 Kudos
38 Kudos
34 Kudos