Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ongoing network issues with Samsung Galaxy S8

Just over a year ago, I switched from Amaysim to Optus for my mobile service. I had been experiencing really poor coverage for some time, I'd replaced both my phone and my SIM card in the few months prior, and there was no improvement and no customer support, so when it got worse and I ended up with almost no network service at all, I decided to switch to Optus as I had data accounts with them. I'd ruled out the problem with being with my device or my SIM, but still chose to go with Optus (even though Amaysim uses the Optus network) because I couldn't believe it was a network issue as it wasn't just in one location.

There did seem to be slight improvement in connectivity to start with, after moving to Optus, although I rarely got more than 1-2 bars and sometimes had call drop outs, missed SMS and unusable internet.  However, it was on and off, and I have a Telstra work mobile I can use if desperate and tend to do most of my non-voice activity on other devices, so I didn't worry too much about it.

In the last couple of months things have gotten worse. I have very little connectivity either at home or work or out and about. People complain they've been trying to ring me when I've had no calls, I get SMS delivered hours after they've been sent, and I can seldom get any internet at all on my phone. Today, for example, I looked at my signal strength several times and it was between -96 and -117 dBm. I understand anything over about 90 is considered very bad to non-existent. I get 0 - 1 bar at most.

I've got my network mode set to LTE/3G/2G (and tried setting just to 3G too, with no better results), I've checked Access Point Names and other settings, I've checked the 4G coverage map for my device and it is supposed to be good to very good. I've rebooted. I've reset network settings. I've got Optus to enable voice over LTE. I've tried other devices again. I've reset my device again. I still have terrible connectivity both at home, work, and other locations.   Is there anything left to try, or should I just give up and cancel the service?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Ongoing network issues with Samsung Galaxy S8

Hi Ness18,

Sounds like a really frustrating ordeal. Thanks for the detail in your post, it sounds like you've done extensive troubleshooting.

Have you tried your SIM in another phone aside from the S8 as if I'm understanding correctly it's been over a year since you've tried a different one. Same with a SIM replacement. 

What happens when you insert a non Optus SIM into the S8?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray, thanks for your response and apologies for my delay in replying. I work in the health industry so things have been a bit hectic lately! Yes, I have tried the SIM in other devices with the same result while other SIMs work in my phone. I kind of feel like I've been down this road before, changing SIMs 3 times already with no improvement, but I'll give it one more shot. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Oh geez, yes you would be flat out. Stay safe! 

It is a mystery with what's going on, let us know how you go giving it one more shot when you're able to.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos