cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

No Google apps for the Huawei Mate 30

Hi Yes Crowd,

Huawei was definitely a hot topic on Yes Crowd a few months back.

A report from Ausdroid today that Huawei has confirmed the Mate 30 will launch without any Google apps, including Google Maps, Calendar, Google Drive, Google Assistant and Gmail.

Also interesting to read that it will reportedly come with third-party alternatives running on a bespoke version of Android 10 and that Huawei is in the process of developing alternatives to Google apps and services.

To be confirmed but I believe at this stage there are no plans for Optus to range the Mate 30.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: No Google apps for the Huawei Mate 30

You will probably get complaints that you dont stock it... cant win by the looks of it.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Apple eventually decided it was too much of a business risk to keep relying on Google Maps. They took the hard (and no doubt costly) decision to develop their own version. I can only suspect that regardless of whatever the trade war outcome is, big overseas companies will have been spooked by this unilateral embargo on US IP tech. They'll all be looking to create their own. Either that, or Huawei will ship without these apps but a simple workaround will be put in place to enable their functionality on the phone anyway by the buyer. 

Interesting times, but I think the heads up notice by Optus is great. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

I can well understand why Optus wouldn't stock the phone but is there any reason why you can't sideload the Google apps?

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Davelew sure you can sideload, but for the "average Joe" its probably not what they are after.

Can get nasties by sideloading apps from non trusted sources (even get nasties from the Play store....)

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Yes, I agree @Paddylee , but was wondering if Huawei could be forced to put some program in the phone to prevent sideloading Google apps.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

People have found ways to get around blocks to sideloading for a heap of devices.

Android was originally develloped for digital cameras.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Update: Confirmation that at this stage Optus will not be ranging the Mate 30.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor SteveV
Contributor

No big surprise. Optus barely supports the android handsets they have without throwing in another OS for them to sit on

0 Kudos
Top Contributors