Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Nexus 6P Random Battery Shutdowns

jason_lee

As the title says, my ~1 year old phone shuts down randomly with an "empty" battery anywhere from 20-50% reported charge. This is causing a lot of headaches as I can't really rely on my phone to die at a given percentage. Already tried looking for suspect apps causing battery drain then did a factory reset and installed probably less than half the apps I had before.

I've been following this issue on the AOSP tracker with the hopes that this is some kind of software or battery calibration bug but the majority of users complaining of the issue there and on Reddit have only been successful fixing it after a repair or replacement. 

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=227849

Screenshot_20161227-175804.png

Accubattery reports my battery health (based on manufacturers stated capacity) is only 63%, so it's definitely not my imagination:

Screenshot_20170131-174452.png

Has Optus seen a lot of issues like this? Live Chat agent told me that I need to go back to the Optus store where I bought the phone, I've since moved so this will be a huge pain. Surely I can send it to a repair centre?

Re: Nexus 6P Random Battery Shutdowns

Shauna

@jason_lee - Thanks for sending this information through to us. It's not good to hear your phone has been experiencing battery issues, especially this early. You don't need to take this back to the store you purchased the phone from, any store would suffice. Our reps in store will be able to assess the handset and have it sent away if need be. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

jason_lee

I have taken my phone in to my local store twice now and they insist there is nothing wrong with it. I have collected detailed battery life and charging statistics every day for the last week and a half since I got it back and have some examples like the above from before as well, yet all the repair centre could muster up was a template letter with some checkboxes on it, no technical details and no proof that the phone/battery are working as intended.

Is there a way to escalate this? I feel like my only decent option is going to the TIO because the Optus repair centre isn't taking responsibility for the phone (how much does a battery even cost anyway?) and it's near impossible to contact someone in Optus who actually cares. Phone/chat support pushes you to the store, the store pushes you to an anonymous repair centre who send nothing but a letter saying it was fine, and the storepeople just shrug and say there's nothing they can do about it.

Shauna

Thanks for the details. I'm very sorry that you're still experiencing issues. Would you be able to send through a private message with your account details, full name and DOB? Happy to discuss this further. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Solution

jason_lee

Just for posterity in case anyone else experiences this issue, after I sent through all of my details the moderators weren't "happy to discuss this further" like they indicated. Despite sending fresh evidence they've dug their heels in and offered no solution or way forward so this is now being reviewed by the TIO.

Meg

Sorry that the info we provided wasn't what you wanted to hear jason_lee. If you've now raised a compliant via the TIO you'll be contacted via case manager as outlined in our complaints process

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

soulroyale77

Hi Mate, 

Just wanted to let you know its not just you. I've sent my nexus 6p away under warranty with Optus and received the same FOB off. 

Event hought is issuie is well documented and now has legal attention in US:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/04/google-may-face-class-action-nexus-6p-shutdown-bug/

Kaz66

soulroyale77

Update on where im upto: I lodged a complaint with Optus and had my issue escalated to the Optus Resolver Team, I was told If send it away 3 times without resolution  I would be provided with either a replacement New out of box Nexus 6p or an alternate android of equal value. After Optus process issues with my warranty claims I had sent it away 3 times without it being resolved. Surprise Surprise..

The guy im dealing with tells mw the RRP is only $749 so to choose a device upto that value, I pointed out the RRP was actually $899, he avoided that fact and offered an early upgrade instead.. I asked this guy to call me 6 times he never has, only reponds by email on averages 3 days betweem responses, he has now not responded to emails or calls in 5 business days.. Optus service is ridiculous... complete and utter joke... 

Marie

That's really disappointing to hear @soulroyale77 Smiley Sad 

It's certainly not the experience we want our customers to have.

If you could please PM through your mobile number, full name and date of birth I'd be happy to follow this up with your case manager for you.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
21 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos
18 Kudos
13 Kudos