cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Dave-o
New Contributor

Re: Nexus 6P Random Battery Shutdowns

Having this exact same issue and can't tell you how frustrated I am right now. After sending the phone off once, they did a factory reset and sent it back, saying the issue was fixed. Chumps!

Not keen to send it off 2 more times (being without a phone for 1+ week each time) only to have the exact same experience you have had. I've spoken with their online chat, their retention team, technical support, customer care and who knows which other departments and they still can't work out a suitable resolution.

Have 2 contracts expiring within the next 5 months so think I'll be kicking Optus to the kerb!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor jason_lee
Occasional Contributor

This is all sounding very familiar.

After contacting​ the TIO Optus missed the deadline for initial contact so the case went to their investigations team. After I was finally contacted by a rep I was given the option of an early upgrade or $200 to buy a temporary reliable phone while I travel. Not having any suitable phones out or wanting to reward Optus by recontracting for another 2 years I chose to send the phone away for a third time.

Luckily the guys in store were much more sympathetic than the case manager and made detailed repair notes and printed out my battery stats so I could wrap the the phone in them.

Lo and behold the exact same repair centre was able to replicate the fault they insisted didn't exist previously and my phone was replaced. The difference is night and day, this one drains to 0% and the battery can last 2-3 days instead of around 5-8 hours.

My contract is up in November and I don't think I'll be back either.

Moderator Aman_B

Really sorry for the inconvenience caused @Dave-o. I can  understand how frustrating it can be and I'd be the same but we'll have to get the handset accessed at our warehouse. This is as per warranty procedure from the manufacturer.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Really sorry to hear that this has been your experience @Jason_lee 😞 Certainly not one we want you to have.  I've passed on some feedback about your overall experience and we wish you all the best. We're here if you need anything else. Aman

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Dave-o
New Contributor

How many times does it need to be sent away and how many weeks do I need to be without it before someone decides it's a faulty device and sends me a replacement?

My main concern is the fact your technician obviously had no clue, even though I was very clear about it in my explanation when sending in the device, so the thought of spending additional weeks without it for no result seems futile.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey @Dave-o, our team at the repair centre are accredited technicians and are trained to be able to assist with these types of enquiries. Sorry to hear you're still experiencing difficulties with the handset. I'd recommend popping into an Optus store to discuss your options. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Tim0
New Contributor

I've also been having similar problems with my phone and the repair centre has been no help at all. Sent my phone away twice, and each time get it back with a message "We have been unable to replicate the fault". The test sheet they give back doesn't even indicate that they attempt to drain the battery to 0%. I'm beyond frustrated at this point. Good luck to anyone out there trying to get optus to fix their phones. I was getting pushed to upgrade to a newer phone on a plan and was told I'd still have to fully pay out my phone which has severe battery issues.

Occasional Contributor soulroyale77
Occasional Contributor

The optus process is if you send it away 3x times without resolution, have your case escalated to the Optus resolver team. They can with the 3 warranty reports, give you your options. Which for me was a Brand new replacement of same model, a brand new replacement phone of anothoer manufcaturer from the same family, being Android to the same RRP *which was only huewei phones at that price. Or lastly they offered me an early upgrade, of which I had to send back the Nexus 6P and i was refunded the device payment portion of my repayments.  which is what I ended up going with. 

Send it away again, that will be your 3rd time, get your escalation going now because the initial contact can take 5 business days, once thats done you should have a resolution... mine from beginning to end to 4 months to get resolved... for such a well documented issue that even has a class action lawsuit against Huawei i would have thought this would have been much more straight forward.

Alternativley if you have had enough, your rights under ACL through ACCC state that an issue is Major if its something that would have prevented you from purchasing it had you know, or if its a minor issue that hasn't been resolved in a reasonable timeframe, both of those fit the situation. Under the ACL you are within your rights to request a replacement device or full refund for your device payments and the termination of your contract. And the choice is yours, not Optus's.

Occasional Contributor jason_lee
Occasional Contributor

Some things I pressed for during the investigation were trying to find out the following:

• Who does the repairs? Is it Optus (i.e. probably some third party repair provider) or the handset manufacturer that is failing the consumer
  • An actual copy of the test methodology (i.e. how they tested the handset) and the results (i.e. what was the actual test result, not just a tickbox or pass/fail). The repair report is pathetically lacking in information.

The rep I spoke to stubbornly refused to answer both of these as they "didn't know" the answers and were unwilling to find out. I was told by her that there was no escalation process for handset repairs either.

TIO and ACCC are definitely the way to go if you're having trouble with your phone, it's either beyond the scope of their repair centres limited resources or intellect to cope with or it's being deliberately ignored due to it being a widespread and known fault.

New Contributor calem
New Contributor

I also have a Nexus 6P with the same issues. I have sent it for repairs 3 times. Each time they gave me a brand new device and as soon as i took it home they did the exact same thing. The store salesmen told me also if i returned it 3 times i could choose a new device of similar value. Customer service later told me this is not true and they can no longer do anything and i have to take this up with the manufacturer myself! Or they could offer me an 'early upgrade', which is really just a new contract and inturn buying a new phone off them (nice try optus). I had been without a phone for over 8 weeks with no offer of compensation or a spare phone to use. I took this up with TIO and 4 weeks later Optus offered me a $500 cheque. However they still want me to pay out the rest of the phone. I believe this phone was over $700 when new? When i call to discuss further there is no answer. Optus please call me to finalise this.

I have been an optus customer for over 10 years but after this i will be considering another provider. I cannot count the amount of hours I have wasted on the phone to Optus, the amount of hours (yes hours) i have spent in the store waiting for someone to talk to me. The amount of trips i have made to the store to return the phone knowing i will receieve it back with the exact same problem. I once called the store 10 times in one day with no answer.  The third time i sent it for repairs they sent it back 1 week later without doing a thing saying they could not do anything because they needed me to log in to my google acount to access the phone? I dont know but that doesnt sound right to me.

This whole thing is a real dissapointment Optus - take some responsibilty, I purchased the phone from you so why should I have to ask for a refund from the manufacturer? 

If anyone else is haveing these issues go straight to the TIO and dont waste anytime. Optus will not do a thing unless the TIO tells them to...