cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

My Optus App

My Optus App seems to be launching other applications which it's not meant to be like Facebook for example.

When I go into battery/App Launch/Launch Records it tells me xxxxx has been launched by My Optus, when my optus hasn't even been launched to start with.

Stop this from happening it's a security threat and a battery drain issue.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: My Optus App

Hi

I would say when I first read your post I was a little doubtful but having just read this article which would seem to confirm it is highly likely:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/5/18252397/facebook-android-apps-sending-data-user-privacy-developer...

I will be deleting this app until Optus confirm this is not the case @Ray_YC 

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Strange thing is I've set my optus aop to not launch at startups in the background or a secondary launch, yet it still is automatically launching itself all day long and then launching Facebook.

Screenshot https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DD0DVL_qL6ntVDu8IdxU7nLko1nDSJ3q/view?usp=drivesdk

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks for raising, I've asked the question and will report back here when I hear back.

As a side note I can't find Launch Records settings anywhere on either my Apple or Android Smiley Embarassed

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Also in regards to the launching of apps Optus Sports has also auto launched itself 14 times today so far, the permissions are also set to manage manually and not allowed any launching yet again this app has an agenda of its own.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

It will be interesting to get an answer back @Ray_YC with regards to the My Optus app and Facebook tracking.

A friend of mine who is an app developer said it is often down to the laziness of the app developer who just uses the whole Facebook SDK. He referred me to this recent article:

https://privacyinternational.org/blog/2758/guess-what-facebook-still-tracks-you-android-apps-even-if...

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

What is concerning is my optus app has names, addresses, account number, direct debit details ECT. Is this information being transmitted to Facebook? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

0 Kudos
Contributor SteveV
Contributor

@Ray_YC it's there in my mate 20 pro. One of the few features not disabled by telco meddling

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Just touching base that I'm still waiting to hear back about this one. Appreciate your patience.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors