cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
EbenFergus
New Contributor
New Contributor

Issues with phone Microphone during some phone calls.

Having a bit of a strange issue, I cant seem to find much about it online. I had the Huawei P10 pro on a plan and I started having issues where during phone calls my voice would not transmit and nobody could hear me, but I could hear them. Occassionally it would work fine - usually if somebody else called me. Anyway, I upgraded my phone and plan and now have the Hauwei P20 pro and I am having the same issue. Only far less often now, probably 1 out of every 6 or 7 phone calls, whereas before it was 9 out of 10. 

Never have issues with sound recording on other apps, only phone calls. 

Please and thank you for any help 🙂

6 Replies
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Issues with phone Microphone during some phone calls.

Hi @EbenFergus check if VoLTE is turned on. I had a similar problem with my Xiaomi mi5S. Turn VoLTE off and problem goes away. 

Hmm, you have a Huawei and I have an Xiaomi..both Chinese company's phone. Now where is that foil hat I have stored away?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
EbenFergus
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ah yes! I did think about that, I've been trying to turn off Volte for days because the issue started when I first got the update for it.. however on the p20 there is no option to turn it off.. It is just on by default and I need to turn off LTE but that means slow data .. hmm.

SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

This is for the UK, however I presume the directions are the same. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices?page=/device/huawei/p20/topic/settings/how-to-acti...

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
EbenFergus
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hmm, I only have the option to turn off 4G entirely, which I don't really want to do but I might have to 🤔 no options for VolTE anywhere on my phone.. I'm fully updated too.

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Unfortunately, I do not have a p20 to play with. Tried it on a P9 on Vodafone and there is a volte toggle there. Might head into and optus store and see if there is a p20 on display. 

Another option, if optus support it, is to get technical support to disable volte on the network side. Because of the voice problem and the volte wasn't available, I got vodafone to disable it on the network. However, it is so much more trouble to get it turn back on.

For a test, turn off 4g temporary and see if the problem goes away. If yes then have it disable on the network. 

Good luck. 

EbenFergus
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you so much for your help! I will see how it goes with 4G disabled for a while.

0 Kudos