Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ryballs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro - Green tinted display issue

We're at 80 (Edit: make that 81) posts on this subject now guys. Let's see if we can get to 100 without a solution from Optus!

0 Kudos
charithap
Contributor
Contributor

Yep this has been my experience with Optus. Live Chat say one thing and to go into store do this and then Store staff act like Live Chat are a bunch of idiots and say something else. As a customer, Live Chat and In Store should NOT be two different things. Ridiculous. Get your stories in line. 

0 Kudos
ryballs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The Mate 20 Pro screen turning green is "a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it" which makes it a major problem under Australian Consumer Law. Optus should be offering us our choice from a replacement of acceptable quality or the option to cancel contract, not this run around.

Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the delayed response back to this thread.

We're still in talks with product. We're waiting on an official statement from Huawei.

"The Huawei Mate 20 Pro uses an OLED panel from either LG Display or BOE (LG EA9151 or BOE R66451), and users can confirm which panel their device uses by using an app like DevCheck"

The above is quote from an article posted a couple of days back.

I've confirmed that we will be allowing customers to replace the existing device by following our standard "dead on arrival process, or warranty replacement process. 

My concern is that customers devices will be replaced with the exact same model (which could potentially cause the same issue).

I’ll continue to update this thread as more info comes in.

We appreciate the patience with this one guys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Maelfice
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update Dan but our patience is really running thin. It makes me wonder if the other carrier (who have the black variant) are facing the same issues? I certainly haven't heard anything from them?

Update on my case: My device has been delivered to the address provided by huawei. It turns out its a third party service repair center called Roadhound (they did not explain this to me). I was thinking I am dealing with huawei all throughout this ordeal but what I was told is they will end up sending the device back to Optus and Optus will deal with it. Oh god im going in circles. I called roadhound and at least i got some sense with their process. The  girl explained that once the device has been assessed by their technician, they will let Huawei know which in turn will let Optus know the result. In which case they will give Optus a credit and Optus can replace my device. And here I was thinking Huawei might know which stock is not faulty and I would have better chances with them.... So hence I wonder, is the other carrier's stock problem free? If so why dont I just cancel this wild goose chase and just move over to other carrier?

Optus, do you know how much hours I have wasted on this already? How much stress and how much I have to go through? 

Does anybody know how to contact that Singtel CEO? ~ Unhappy customer

ryballs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Dan_C Thanks for your response. I wouldn't hold my breath on the statement from Huawei though. They were made aware of this issue almost 2 weeks ago and still nothing. Seems they are hoping if they just ignore it, it'll go away. 

Regarding the DOA/replacement process, what is this? Please don't say get store to send it to Boomerang, that's a bloody nightmare.

When Optus finally stop knowingly selling defective phones, I should be able to just walk into a store with my faulty phone and walk out with one that works as expected.

Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

We've again approached Huawei and asked for more clarify around the green tint issue.

That's a good point you've raised in regard to other colour variants being offered by other providers.

At this stage, hard to say whether it's an issue specifically impacting the midnight blue Mate 20 Pro. 

Articles are pointing to the screen manufacturer (I'm not sure whether one particular brand of display was used for a specific colour variant. 

I haven't been able to find any reports on Telstra's community or Whirlpool. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
GibsonG
Contributor
Contributor

oh dear, thanks to this forum, im not going to post my device to huawei service centre. Is it possible to protect ourselves by informing the media and TV station? Everyone seems like get into a dead circle, the best solution for each party is to allow customers to upgrade to another phone plan, Huawei should be banned from Australia.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

The Boomerang process would need to be followed for a standard warranty replacement.

DOA is for those that have opened the device in-store and the fault is visible. We can therefore go in and swap the device on the spot (if stock is available). 

I'd need to confirm if we can offer a contract reversal (if you no longer wish to upgrade to the Mate 20). 

Hopefully, I'll be able to offer a detailed response within the coming days. 

0 Kudos
Maelfice
Contributor
Contributor

Dan, with my situation, is that correct? Roadhound will give their assessment to Huawei and in turn huawei will contact you and give credit so that you can do the needful?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors