cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro - Green tinted display issue

@Dazkatmaka11 Yea it doesn't seem right and I'm still assuming at this point that they just have no idea.. but she was part way through arranging a prepaid postage satchel to be sent out so I could send back my faulty phone to get assessed and then I was put on hold and when she came back the story had changed and the option of going through the process for replacement was off the table. At this point I've had no luck in store, over the phone or with huewei. I don't mind waiting a week or so for a replacement to be sent but this runaround is ridiculous!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I cant comprehend this! How have they not gone, "lets reach out to all of the customers who have bought this phone and ask them if they have the issue" 

I have made a TIO complaint and have also escalated to the Head Office. Now awaiting a call back. 

This news of them now recalling and making you recontract I guess is a sign that the Pixel 3 is in my future. Shame, as I like the Huawei and the hardware, screen withholding, is next gen where everything else is old once it was released. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Maelfice I'm not sure if this is just a temporary fluke but I have been playing around with the colour, I set it to vivid and cool rather than default. For the last 30 minutes it hasn't played up dimming in different apps.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@Dazkatmaka11 cool. Let me give that a try as well

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Maelfice I spoke too soon, this morning it's dimming, but I'm noticing it with mainly Google apps.. Gmail, Chrome, Google Feed, assistant. Facebook, Messenger. Although when I switch back to my home screen the brightness increases back up again. Doesn't seem to affect any dark apps. Strange, wonder if it is a bug or some AI battery saver feature.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Interestingly it doesn't dim for the my optus app, apkmirror, Google News(internal news articles) ING Bank App(bright orange background).

I've just emailed Huawei Australia Tech support, let's see what they say.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@Dazkatmaka11 exactly the same for me. Only for certain apps. Ebay especially. And messenger. I have contacted them already. they will give you the standard factory reset steps and then if it doesnt work they will ask you to send it back to them for repair/assessment. I reckon we should create another thread for this if there are other people who have the same issue. 

The vivid/cool didnt work for me either. This is software related so its not as worrisome as the green tint but still its annoying. If this is another widespread issue i think huawei needs to pull the plug off of mate 20 pro and spend some time relaunching it properly. Hehe.

Yeah you do not notice this in dark background and goes back to normal brightness. I also hate it when the phone goes back to auto adjust brightness everytime you reboot the phone. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It sounds like a Automatic Brightness Limiter.  ABL is a power saving 'feature' that causes the screen  to dim when a certain percentage is white. It is typically only found on OLED TVs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@ryballs yeah i hope so. Although there is no way to turn it off though like say in the power management settings. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Found these posts in reddit:

AlexanderZD • 209d
this is not a bug. It is the PowerGenie app which constantly tries to save juice in the background, including stopping background services and adjusting system settings. Unfortunately it was not well coded at all and over-agressive. Known issue among Chinese community. you can delete powergenie.apk if rooted. non rooted solution will be: adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.powergenie

RagelessGeek94 • 210d
This is a known bug with the EMUI software. It happened to my honor 7x where I would open any browser app and the screen would dim dramatically, even with auto brightness off. I was able to fix the issue by turning up the brightness to 95% and the screen stopped dimming. It was fixed in the oreo beta I received last month for my 7X. I'm sure it will be fixed for all other newer Honor/Huawei phones soon, including the P20.

Might shed some light into this concern. 

Top Contributors