cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro - Green tinted display issue

Now after I got my contract cancelled, I bought a new batch mate 20 pro from China. In China the old batch isnti on the market anymore and all new batch mate 20 pro the green tint issue seems fixed. Also the one I bought from China got 8gb RAM and only cost $1180 AUD. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

I asked for a handset to be sent to the local Optus store, so I can pick up a good unaffected handset, this would eliminate all the work needed for warranty processing. But it just all seems to difficult for optus to work out. Really they are the hardest people to deal with.

Hi Darren, I do apologise that we are unable to organise particular stock be sent to a retail store. In this circumstance we can only work on the assumption that any stock sold meets warranty requirements.

We have processes in place where you can check the phone in store and exchange it as dead on arrival if there are any issues. Following this the standard manufacturer's warranty process would apply.

Toomey

Hmmmm what if the fault does not immediately start on boot up, could take hours or days. They really are dumb.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Except from a Media release.

Singtel Optus chief executive Allen Lew has told staff "they will be sacked" if they are found to be upsetting customers and has encouraged employees to "dob in" colleagues who are not up to scratch, after the telco had a 35 per cent surge in complaints.

The telecommunications company holds weekly “TGIF” (Thank God It’s Friday) meetings, where Mr Lew speaks to hundreds of Optus’ staff in person at the business’ Macquarie Park campus in Sydney and live-streams the conference to Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth. At the last two TGIFs a furious Mr Lew warned employees of his no-nonsense approach to improving their reputation with Australians.

“The customer is why we exist. If you make customers unhappy, you will be sacked," Mr Lew told employees, according to a staff member at the meeting.

Sent on FB messenger to Optus.

Maybe A Current Affair should investigate this, exposing Optus knowingly supplying faulty handsets when they can fix the issue from continuing.

Also not assisting their CUSTOMERS BEST INTEREST. After all the customer is why You Exist.

Simply supply customers with unaffected handsets from day 1, solves a lot of problems. According to Optus they have Good Stock at the warehouse....well start supplying them dumb dumbs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I think the "good stock" is a lie. If they are relying on BOE being the good stock, then they are just as good as taking chances that the stock will not exhibit any issues. Stalling for time until the newly manufactured post 5 november stock comes in from China. Continuing to sell so they dont lose customers and interest in the phone. Chances are all the stock manufactured before 5 november are all defective with varying degrees of green tint that may come out in a few days to a few months. I wont be surprised if this goes on for months from the amount of phones they continue to sell to the public. There must be a reason why other markets completely ceased the selling of the old stock. But optus and other australian retailers are either not informed by huawei properly or they just care about selling the phones and making profit. The huawei staff i spoke with from their warehouse do not even know what is the good stock when i asked him. They say we will open the phone box and turn it on. If it does not exhibit the green tint then we will send that. If it comes out after a few days then just replace it again.

If they really care, then do what samsung did. Stop selling the phones and do a nationwide product recall. Lose money for your fault and just learn from your mistake. And do something more, produce a good stock and replace everyone's phone regardless if its defective or not. Because really people who own the mate 20 pro dont trust their phones anymore (okay i maybe speaking for myself). This incident has ruined the experience and the image of what otherwsie would be possibly the best phone in 2018. 

This is all just speculation. Its just all my opinion. Do not take my word for it. But maybe its not entirely just speculation. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I think that Optus is stuck in a very difficult place. If they don't replace, then everyone complains about not getting their replacements. When they replace with stock that they are told that is "known good" by the manufacturer, there are those that complain about that as well. Can't really win really.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@dacmo Well a win/win for some people would be if Optus provided good stock to a store for upfront replacement. Store could just check your SN. If it says 18A, they get good 18B stock from warehouse and give you a call once replacement unit arrives. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I downloaded the Device Info HW App to find that  the screen section it says "Synaptics-LAYA171020-LG-01-18-10-51". I assume that means that I could have an affected LG panel despite not seeing any issues?

The SN on my box starts with F3R0218A. Does that mean that it's from a dud batch? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@carleast You might be one of the lucky ones. How long have you had it? Can take up to a week to show up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I've has it since launch day as I pre ordered it. Why would you think I'm a lucky one? The post above suggests batch 18A is a dud? 

I haven't seen any green tint but maybe I have looked hard enough. Does the room need to be pitch black, the screen be black, and the screen brightness set to 0? If so I don't seem to have the issue. However my Textra app has a very dark grey background and when the screen brightness is set to 0 and I go in to a pitch black room it looks very slightly green. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

I have been reading up on this and someone on reddit suggested to download OLED Tools from the Playstore and run the bottom option.. Uniformity Test. Quoted below.

download OLED tools from the app store and then go to uniformity test at the bottom, go into a dimly lit room and drop you brightness all the way down. Start the test and you'll see straight away if you are affected.

Top Contributors