Some updates from me:
- Green tint got unbearable. Was not going to keep it around while waiting for a new batch of unaffected phones although I do appreciate Optus eventually getting it right.
- Tweeted the issue to Ausdroid who didn't seem to reply (not that they are obliged to) in the hope Huawei would see that.
- Decided to cancel the contract.
- Huawei told me they wanted to talk to me again, and said they will email me asap after I told them don't worry anymore I am cancelling, and will try to get a 20x. They said they still want to talk to me about it.
- Both Optus stores I went into (sydney city and rouse hill) both didn't seem aware of the issue but were both pleasant and helpful after I told them to check the message on boomerang. No difficulties in getting the cancellation done, although I will note the store I eventually surrendered it to didn't seem to follow the steps outlined in the pdf document about the cancellation and instead processed it through boomerang, but said that was just from their end and that it would still be fully refunded despite boomerang supposedly being explicity for replacements, but we shall see lol. Regardless, the staff were very helpful and gave me no hassles. The guy in the sydney city store (young, cant remember his name) was particularly exceptional when it came to customer care.
My Huawei promotion was also approved on the 6th but has not arrived yet.
Just a note, Chatswood store were aware of the issue and latest updates to the process. Customer service was great and my phone has been sent in yesterday. Fingers crossed it does not take too long.
I also recv'ed two missed from the Huawei support number I answered in the past.
asking them to call me back again, figercrossed hopefully they could offer me the same option they offered you.
Got a call from Huawei rep yesterday asking me what iss my progress with Optus.. I said I already send back to Optus and cancelled the plan. Asking them what is their solution, he told me they are personally replacing carrier's or open channel's phone. Too late of a good news, hope it helps with you guys.. also, he is willing to send out and swap a new unit on the spot while you return the faulty unit..just ask
Off topic: for those whom cancelled how long it takes for your adjusted bill fees waived off to come through. The parcel arrived on Wednesday, called them they said they haven't received it. Weird
Went to Rockingham store last night, they were standoffish and unhelpful. First employee I spoke to about the Mate 20 Pro issue just stared at me blankly and then got the manager. The manager then denied having received any information on their dashboard about the Mate 20 Pro. After my insistance he disappears for a few minutes and comes back with an A4 printout of the announcement. So much for not having received it.
So we sit down, I give him my IMEI and.. It's still not recognised by the Boomerang returns system. I've had the phone for over 3 weeks now, previously left the phone with them for almost a week and they still haven't managed to add my IMEI to their system. He reckons he will add it this morning but they said that last time. Can you please help me with this @Dan_C? I've wasted so much time with Optus and I'm at my wits end.
Edit: If you can arrange a courier to pick up my device like you did with someone else would be great as I really don't wanna deal with this store anymore.
A supervisor i spoke to in optus say they cannot actually change the IMEI recorded against your name in their system. All they can do is leave a note. Another broken process? Optus i think you need to invest more on better business process analysts/business analysts.
Just received a replacement from Huawei.
-Spoke to them on Tuesday
-They origanised a courier to come grab it from my work on Wednesday
-Thursday they shipped me a replacement (Express with tracking)
-Friday morning I had a new phone in my hand.
1.5 days without a phone is pretty good.
Definitely a quicker process than what I assume would be droping and picking phone up from Optus store.
Huawei were actually pretty good to deal with.
One thing I was hopping for that didn't happen is getting a de-branded phone, but turning it on I saw the Optus animation.
Have Optus Stores now received Good Unaffected Stocks, or are they still flogging dodgy handsets. I am looking to upgrade my phone next week. I've tried multiple times to contact my local store and it keeps saying Unavailable, leave a message.
Don't your stores answer the phones?
@OlegA thats exactly the same thing for me. I was surprised how they did it so fast. Hence i opted to go to Huawei coz it seems to be the better option at the time i was doing a replacement. I was also hoping a non branded unit haha but i was disappointed to see the optus splash screen when i opened it.
Only thing is if you choose to cancel, better go with optus because the contract is with them.