Searching...

Mobile

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro - Green tinted display issue

[ Edited ]
OlegA

@MaelficeDid your defective BOE show the same symptoms as LG ones (very low brightness and grey background)?

My BOE seems to do the opposite, green tint can be seen at high brightness and white background.

I didn't pay much attention at first, but when I started reading the forums, it started to bug me more and more.

So instead of admiring the design, quality, and features of the brand new phone,  I am instead focused on the green tint on my screen.

Maelfice

@OlegA Exactly! Mine did the opposite like yours. It shows on white background and I don't even need to set the brightness high or low. 

I thought I was the only unlucky one who had a faulty BOE in this forum but it looks like I am not alone. And I feel the same way. I keep on looking at my screen not because of how nice it looks but to look for any signs of green tint. I can see a dark shade at certain angles of the edges but its not green yet. Im thinking its just because of the screen curve. Or maybe I am just paranoid. I really hate curved screens to be honest. At least the curve that S8 above series and this phone have. I don't see any benefit or beauty in it. Its hard to pick up and hard to apply screen protector. But anyway, this phone is still awesome except for this issue we have. 

daihle23

@Maelfice I am having an LG51 panel, I am not experiencing the problem so clearly, I mean there is green light coming out of the edge display in the dark with minimum brightness, but I guess its just a typical light bleed as for all phone, not so dramatic like what others have seen. What would be the best way to "wake up" the green tinted edge to see if my screen is defected or not? 

ryballs

@daihle23 LCD typically has light bleed but OLED shouldn't have any as it doesn't have a backlight..

Xalies

That might be the case but its the easiest way to explain it and for someone to visualize whats happening

[ Edited ]
ryballs

@Xalies I have no issue with people using the term to describe this. What I'm trying to say is light bleed is not typical for all phones. Those that use an OLED panel should not be getting light bleed or anything that resembles it. 

Highlighted

steelo85

Hi everyone, I dropped in to the Darlinghurst Optus store this morning. They were friendly, helpful and most importantly aware of the screen issue and offered me the options @Dan_C mentioned. I'm happy with Optus but didn't want to risk having the same issue all over again so I ended up recontracting and going with the Pixel XL. Worth noting is that I wasn't able to walk out with the new handset - there's some internal approval process - so I had to wait until they phoned to let me know I could collect the new toy. I received the call the same day so everything is all sorted now.

I'd definitely recommend just going straight in to store as the chat people were useless and there always seemed to be a 30 min queue for the Optus phone support. Big shout out to @Dan_C for the guidance and the Darlinghurst store for not being useless!

daihle23

@ryballs this picture from the internet, this is pretty much what I have seen when I place my Samsung S8 and the new Mate 20 Pro side by side. My Mate20Pro is not as bad as this LG in the pic, my whole screen looks more like top half of the LG screen in the picture, that's why I am quite unsure if its typical LG panel. If only Huawei uses AMOLED display from Samsung Smiley Sad 

A LG V30 and a Samsung Galaxy S8 displaying a solid gray image on low brightness in a dark room. Click for a bigger version, and note LG's uneven color and weird horizontal banding.

Maelfice

Yeah I have a Samsung S8 which is similar in terms of the curved screen and using AMOLED and I dont see any bleeding, or dark or greenish pigmentation on the edge. If it was LED I would understand. 

@daihle23 I am not sure how best to "wake up" the green tinted edge. All i know is it comes out gradually with use until it becomes prominent. If I could remember the activities I did before it showed up, it would be a little bit of heavy gaming which made the phone moderately warm and a few videos (btw wow performance is great on gaming). That is why in this replacement, I am trying to replicate what I did before. From what I can gather here, it comes out after a few days. Most of us that joined this thread early, have the green tint come out on the second or third day we got the phone. 

BTW, is there anybody else experiencing the brightness of the phone gradually dimming when you shift to a white background? My auto adjust brightness, Natural Tone, Eye Comfort and Smart Resolution are all turned off. I notice it even with the the replacement phone I got. I did notice as well that Auto adjust brightness turns on by default everytime you restart the phone. Sorry for going off topic but most of the Mate 20 Pro users would be in this thread. Thanks. 

ryballs

@daihle23 Yep the Samsung is how an OLED should look like. If you buy OLED you shouldn't be getting anything that resembles light bleed. It is also meant to perform best in low light. That is what people expect when they buy a phone with an OLED panel and why they're willing to pay more for it. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
56 Kudos
19 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
15 Kudos