cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor BrackersInc
New Contributor

Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro?

Hello! Just wondering if Optus will be carrying the Huawei Mate 20 and/or the Mate 20 Pro?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro?

I know the P20 Pro is only available purchased outright from stores such as JB Hi Fi.

If they were to be sold through Optus then they would have been launched by now.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor BrackersInc
New Contributor

So the Mate 20 and Mate 20 Pro are officially being unveiled on the 16th of October, so not yet available to purchase, but I'm very interested in the Pro version and wanted to see if Optus would be carrying it at all 😊

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

One of the Mods intimated (no pun intended) that Optus might be doing something.

Note that another user did point out that "The one thing to remember is that if you buy through Optus you get your updates from Optus, if you buy outright from JB hifi or similar you get your updates directly from the manufacturer."

Have a read of this thread anyway.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Trigg3r
New Contributor

Hello.. some great questions have been raised and fantastic that even Optus is having a input to it's refreshing too see ultimately. Moving forward from U.S let's bring to the table regarding the lack of transparency. Firstly Huwaei handsets where all advertised as a Android/google phone or running The Android/google OS when you are approached by the retail team that represents Optus and they recommend you too this brand as a consumer you trust them, I myself have been let down due to this not only did Huwaei loose their licences but also lost access to the Android Q beta meaning.. I'll have no input on future development if I continue to support Huwaei. 

Secondly: it's not fair for the consumer to ware this I feel that Optus took a risk with Huwaei on this and by the sounds of it Huwaei knew this was going to happen hence why Huwaei never released its own OS with its Handsets Huwaei statement:"We did not want to bring the OS to the market as we had a strong relationship with Google and others and did not want to ruin the relationship. Now, we are rolling it out next month. The new HongMeng OS may not be released till 2020 to other users.

Third and finally.!  Too change flash or alter the OS from anything other than the stock ROM that's not an official Android/google OS is a void of warranty. I see Huwaei releasing their OS as an official update to their device to avoid this but regardless Handsets were advertised as Android/google OS 

August 19th 2019 is the end of support date.

There is more too it than what I've stated but the main point is things are looking dire and not having a clear response untill the end of a 90 day licensed is by all means not acceptable.! 14 business days is more than enough.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

This is definitely going to come down to a mix of PR and legal responsibility for Optus. No one likes uncertainty but at the moment a lot of things are up in the air. One thing that is not up in the air is the current functionality of the phones which is as good as ever. Optus has many factors to consider (customers, Hauwei, legalities, PR and obviously $$$ etc.) at the moment this could all go away in a day. The extension could be extended. etc. Making such big decisions based on a "what if" doesn't seem a reasonable ask just now IMO. 

Passing all the risk taking on to Optus doesn't seem reasonable to me. We've all been a little caught out by how vulnerable to decisions made by people very far away but those risks existed always even if we didn't realise it. To shift the example, say you decide to sell your car. Nice car and the buyer after a full check pays you $20,000 for it. But a month later the governement introduces new legislation on emmissions that means your car probably can't be resold without an expensive upgrade. Should the buyer be able to come back to you and request a refund? That's essentially what some are asking of Optus.

But the analogy is a bit flawed as phones are sold with a component that is altered after sale. Updates and patches and functionality are all open to being modified after the sale. Generally we see this as a good thing, but it cuts both ways. Functionality can be changed/removed for many reasons etc. We have already signed away a lot of control over what we by because of this. A case in point is all the shows people buy on FetchTV. We don't own them and if we leave Optus they are all immeadiately deleted from our box. 

All this is to say its obviously complicated and its going to take some time to see how it shakes out. IMO I suspect Optus will end up negotiating replacements for those that aren't happy with the Hauwei. Its going to have a long standing impact IMO on the availability of Hauwei Phones in Australia (Who would buy them now?) but that's not Optus problem.

FWIW Almost all Optus plans offer a $99 upgrade after just 12 months so just about every Optus customer can look to trade into another model pretty soon anyway. 

Peter Gillespie

PS I don't think Hauwei developing its own operating system is a sign of much. All good companies look to identify reliances and reduce them. Apple built its own entire Map App at enourmous cost because it couldn't be so reliant on Google Maps for such a core feature. etc. Its yet to be seen how good it will be and of course they'll say its all ready to go at this stage. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors