cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor PDT
Contributor

Re: Google decision on Huawei, what does this mean for Optus customers?

I'm not sure about security updates or firmware updates for the future. For those it's who bought expensive late model phones, it's not just about assurance of future updates but also the resell value of their phones. 

Their value will drop dramatically.. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Consumer Law is generally about the buyers expectations. There's definitely a case to be made that the purchase of an expensive mobile these days comes with a reasonable expectation of things like security updates. Re-sale value is a bit less likely though. After all no one can guarantee the resale value of anything and if through no fault of their own a company product becomes less valuable that's not a valid reason IMO to request the company to 'make up the difference' so to speak. Purchasing anything comes with intendent risks (like a value drop) that the buyer shoulders as well. 

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Contributor Quaz1
Contributor

So from no updatesd for the Mate 20 pro for 5 months, to this.

I mean, this phone has basically been a disaster

Contributor PDT
Contributor

There are updates already approved and sitting on Huawei servers waiting to be distributed. If they don't come through soon, it will be very dissappointing indeed .

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Combo64
Occasional Contributor

I just want to ensure that people are aware that It's not Security Updates we need. Its continued support for the handset.

As things currently stand, no firmware or operating system/version updates will be provided to existing devices untill someone makes Donald Trump lift the ban.

As a result, Optus needs to provide customers a free device upgrade or end the contracts.

Also, any device released from Huawei after 90 days from yesterday will no longer have GPS.

https://youtu.be/lfxfdHJ3k9Y

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Combo64
Occasional Contributor

What people need to be reminded of is that as of 90 days all existing devices will no longer get Operating/Firmware updates.

This means support for the device will be ceased.

As a result Optus should provide a device replacement or contract waiver.

Contributor PDT
Contributor

Google said this today..

"Keeping phones up to date and secure is in everyone's best interests and this temporary license allows us to continue to provide software updates and security patches to existing models for the next 90 days."

Beyond that, there are no plans.

Occasional Contributor Majikalwhispers
Occasional Contributor

Re: Huawei P30 Pro google / android ban

Thanks for reply, let’s hope they stick to this. 

Verry dissapointed in the whole thing. I love my Huawei phone and want to have it till end of contract, but not if it’s not updating. 

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Huawei P30 Pro google / android ban

"Updating" is largely a marketing thing IMO. Sometimes its just a 'we haven't actually finished this properly' thing but otherwise it can often be based on human psychology, much like the Pokies. I think these are great phones and at the bleeding edge of technological capability.. They should all work fine for years to come.  If they never got another update they'd still be an excellent buy.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Subh
New Contributor

@Quaz1  I have received 4 updates on Mate 20 pro in last 6 months, all four since February, last one just a week or two ago. I am on 9.0.0.261. 

I am worried once the 3 month grace period given by Google is over, no further Security updates will be available. That's just 9 months of security update against 2-3 years for flagships. Moreover this will not receive the upgrade to Android Q which was guranteed later this year since flagships receive 2 years of upgrades. My 6 month old phone will be obsolete in another 3 months unless they reach a deal. Probably it's obsolete now, who knows if any updates are received in the next 3 months!!

I really hope Optus allows for early swapping without contract break clause enforced.