Searching...

Mobile

Re: Google decision on Huawei, what does this mean for Optus customers?

mickmcmahon6730

Its still for sale on the Telstra online store,more false stories from the press.Hopefully China now place bans on Apple products in its country.

Woody86

Its all good and well to say people can upgrade after 12 months of their contract for $99 or $149 but what about the people who have slight damage on their phones which they will have to pay extra? Then we will be stuck with an out of date and not up to date security phone....

SteveV

I've tried to avoid all this bs. But I have to correct some people. 

all three of the telcos are still offering huawei handsets for contract in particular the p30 variants are showing strong presence.

The tio will take one look at your complaint right now and ask one simple question is the handset performing as it should right now. Simple answer yes. Down the track yes. Can you call yes. Can you text yes. Internet yes. Coverage yes. Tio will not care about apps and firmware I know this as it has been the basis of previous discussions with them personally. Email in particular Gmail can be access by browser. App store is the tricky one. Huawei and Google has stated ongoing access for current handsets how long it lasts is same as how long is a piece of string.

Sent from my mate 20 pro so I have a stake. 

petergdownload

@Woody86 , Yes, its not a perfect option, but its not a bad backstop to some of the alternatives that people are worrying about. There are options to pay more again for returning with damage (or you can fix it yourself) etc. but that's the same for any plan. One could say that if you do damage the phone materially you've probably cost yourself a fair chunk of resale value regardless of the phone type anyway. 

I would definitely suggest any customers who think they might take this up should get a case (if they don't usually) to try improve the odds of it being in good nick down the track. Note that you have to do some reasonably significant damage to not be able to return the phone. 

Peter Gillespie

ttrade war

ice

: trade war and opus customers?

ice

what are Optus plans .regarding Huawei phones  

and existing customers I was going to contract with a  Huawei mate 30 phone but I'm holding off and may opp to get the Samsung A-70 or A-80 .or wait for the note 10 Samsung what are Optus planning to do or tell customers.i am aware that the 90 days 3 months customers can still get google updates but what will happen if that may affect, also

Huawei modems on the NBN down the track and possibly other mobile makes from China,

the list below i hope it resolved, reading up i know Huawei may get their own operating system and play store.

but what of the worried customers that have a Huawei mobile and those that may have wanted to get that phone but now are fastened by this trade war?

1. OnePlus 7 Pro. Rating: Reviewed on: 23 May 2019. ...
  2. Xiaomi Mi 9. Rating: Reviewed on: 8 May 2019. ...
  3. Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro. Rating: Reviewed on: 20 March 2019. ...
  4. OnePlus 6T. Rating: Reviewed on: 17 May 2019. ...
  5. Huawei P30 Pro. Rating: Reviewed on: 20 May 2019. ...
  6. Xiaomi Mi Mix 3. Rating: ...
  7. Xiaomi Mi 8. Rating: ...
  8. Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Rating:

Re: : trade war and opus customers?

petergdownload

Yep. Its definitely a huge curve ball for customers, Telcos and even countries. Regardless of the short term resolution of this issue I suspect many potential buyers will be scared off buying some overseas models in case it happens to them too. Telcos may stop stocking them in any case just to prevent the possible headache. There's a big of chance of this snow balling IMO.

Optus have adopted (and communicated) a wait and see approach while working behind the scenes. So far all phone are not actually affected and it possible the whole issue will just go away if Trump decides this was an unintended consequence of his ban. Its mostly people who have bought that obviously are concerned. They may have a case for refund etc. later on but as the potential issues have been widely published you likely wouldn't have any recourse if problems occured and you wanted to return the phone. 

Note that the issue isn't a ban on Hauewei devices as such. Its just a ban on the google Android system (and only the non free ware version) so its unlikely other Hauwei equipment will have any problems moving forward.

As a possible reassurance, I have flagged though that most Optus phone plans come with an option to upgrade them after 12 months for a one off $149 fee. So if you do go ahead you can always switch out then for another model. Note that I believe things like gmail etc. will remain on your phone and be usuable. There just won't be any updates and installling gmail apps after the 3 month period ends won't be possible perhaps.

There's a few threads around here if you want to look them up for other thoughts.

Peter Gillespie

Davelew

This sounds like it may be good news:

https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2019/05/31/google-adds-huawei-mate-20-pro-back-into-androi...

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

It did make a splash, but IMO I wouldn't read much into it. Keeping in mind there's currently no ban on any technology with Hauwei with the three month extension. Obviously Google would want to keep developing and testing its android system on such a huge manufacturer. Releasing a single popular Hauwei model back probably makes it easy for many people in the organisation to continue testing etc. Noting that the freeware version of Android (Which Hauwei will still have access to) needs to continue to be tested and improved for Hauwei phones. 

Peter Gillespie

ice

i hope it just gets resolved but the problem if i don't it not only will effect, Huawei mobiles but may affect other Chinese phone makers and also affect rare earth materials used in the  chips sets and supplied to people around the world it also may mover over to trade on other goods, yes I looked and Optus still are waiting,to see after the 90 days, its such a petty that an awesome Huawei 30 mate pro is an awesome mobile its ashamed this trade war seems to be continuing like most customers with Optus i may play it safe and go with Samsung,as soon as the A-80-A-70 and possible the note 10 comes out, i was just about to make a decision and get a Huawei, but have not because of this, I see some companies like Jb hi-fi have dropped these prices and some online places have. it may be that the phone may still be here as they may have their own operating system and browsers, which means you could still access things like facebook, through a third party browser but the thing is what could happen to your Google account, as you need to sing in things like Google and to youtube there are also Huawei modems that Optus supplies, i wonder how that may also affect users and products like laptops?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
21 Kudos
18 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
13 Kudos