cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Google decision on Huawei, what does this mean for Optus customers?

One thing is for sure. The ball is definitely in Optus' court. Lets wait and see what they do.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor smokoner79
Occasional Contributor

I couldn't agree more. I only recently got the Huawei 3i and upon receiving, this kafuffle began. one thing I did to check is going to the websites like mazuma and sell my phone to check pricing. Considering the value of the 3i is around the 400-450 mark, the value of the phone plummeted down to less than $50, although one website stated $70. This is disgusting. I sincerely believe Optus should allow us to keep the phone's without paying any further charges, or like stated in a previous post, allow us to send our handsets back for a similar value phone. Either way so long as I receive at least one more update, which I haven't as of yet, then it will be an ok phone for 12 months. but I truly believe compensation should be considered by Optus in regards to this matter if Google does officially pull the plug from Huawei. It's kind of sad really. It'd be like buying $100,000 BMW driving it from the showroom, and all of a sudden the value of it is worth $10,000. 👎

0 Kudos
Contributor PDT
Contributor

https://www.androidcentral.com/huawei-starts-rolling-out-emui-90-update-mate-9-series-and-p10

The update is now rolling out to the Mate 9 and P10 in the coming days,.. 👍 😁 

Occasional Contributor ice
Occasional Contributor

i guess Optus did not see this coming nor did we the thing I like to know what of other Chinese mobile phone makers,perhaps they may be hit also, with that ban the problem is probably there will be a lot of Huawei phones that Optus may be overstocked with also and find it hard to sell them because of consumer loss of confidence,the phone is excellent problem lies that everybody may follow the ban, like there is Google services, the play store by Google and now probably sd card makers and social networks like Instagram or Twitter, facebook some you may be able to access on browsers that are true,the same as NBN Optus may also may experience loss an example is the NBN due to a poor decision not made by Optus but by Government to go fiber in most cases to the node, instead of fiber now will cost everybody more for a less of product expectation, unless later down the track, hopefully, it will be resolved....in the case of new operating system for Huawei. it may be difficult to interact with what we know like I mentioned in my post there are lots of Huawei products it could extend to like laptops..and even modems like Huawei... like even firmware and other factors you may be perhaps able top contract to another brand of  mob phone perhaps Optus may do that,and just let you pay it out monthly on your existing Huawei may at a discount, maybe a solution if things go south with nogotions with the USA and Huawei after the 90 days

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor ice
Occasional Contributor

i hope they will come through for you the most with android operating system updates we seem to get operating system updates like from android or google  once a year or later anyway in comparison,i think they will probably try to fit some in before the bans 90 days are up,but then after you may get little or no more updates for that phone in comparison, just imagine like example windows 7 is no longer receiving security updates much now because Windows 10 is popular,if you have XP,its not good, problem lies in the phone is good but the software will be obsolete, until problem in the last solution Huawei use their own operating system that may even speed things up even faster, you may be able to access thing using other browsers, like Firefox to look up google services then using your everyday apps.except for the play store?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There's definitely a lot more a stake than just a few disgruntled phone buyers. Consumers are wary beasts and once they decide that certain models (countries?) are in the too risky category they'll just move to other brands. That would possibly be a two way street and you end up with a technological divide and a lot less options.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Combo64
Occasional Contributor

Ok Optus.

Telstra and JB are offering refunds now on devices. 

What are you going to do? TIO complaints or Offer refunds?

Devices fall under "not fit for purpose"

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you referring to this article? I can't find anymore confirmation of this and would have thought it would be big news. If anyone might blink in this issue it would likely be Telstra as they hardly have any exposure to the issue. At this stage any refunds would be a public relations exercise.

It seems only a JBHiFi store was involved (not Telstra) and no one received any refund (just demanded one). As the phones are still being updated it's hard to see how they could currently be classified as not fit for purpose?

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

If you could provide the source of these claims in writing I can ask.

Telstra are still selling Huawei's on their website which would be an odd move if they are refunding them.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro

US companies can now trade with Huawei again.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/mobile-phones/donald-trump-reverses-course-on-huawei-blac...

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Top Contributors