There will be some channels leaving the Fetch service soon. Click here to find out what they are. Read the full story
2019-05-28 04:56 PM
For those (understandably) concerned about this issue, I believe all Optus customers on phone plans and leases have the option to upgrade their handset for $149 after 12 months. Many early adopters will already be half way to that date. My understanding of the Hauwei ban is that updates may stop when the three month exemption period is up but its likely all functionality (i.e. GMail etc.) will stay in place for existing phones. That would mean just waiting for a few months before swapping the phone over for a different model if desired. No issues with re-sale value either.
Its not a total solution but its a pretty good Plan B while you wait for Optus to decide how it is going to proceed.
Note that as is usual for this method of upgrade it costs $149 and your contract is extended out to 24 months again.
2019-05-29 05:38 PM - edited 2019-05-29 05:43 PM
Once again Peter, you're completely wrong. The 2 other phone carriers have already pulled the phone's from sale. That being Telstra and Vodafone. Clearly their lawyers know that refunds will be allowed by the ACCC and TIO.
We are now wanting Optus to do the right thing.
Otherwise their hands will be forced to do so.
Quite sick of this corrupt company doing as they please. I use to work for an Optus reseller and know the shonky things they do to their customers, I won't even be calling Optus or speaking with their "web chat". I'll be going straight to the TIO on Friday 31/05/19 if no resolution is to be offered publicly by Optus.
2019-05-29 06:37 PM
I agree, I purchased my huawai phone on a 24 month plan the day before the news of the google ban !
‘I am not going to be stuck with it.
‘I contacted optus via chat to ask to return it and exchange for something else(only had it for 1 day ) and was told that I had to wait to see what happens...???
not one person has got back to me.
‘I have been using optus from day 1
2019-05-29 07:18 PM - edited 2019-05-29 09:20 PM
Always happy to be corrected. It's there anything you could point to as incorrect in my post? IME the only people that are completely wrong are those that think others are completely wrong.
As for other carriers they have a very small footprint when it comes to Hauwei phones. Sure you could guess the reasons but the simplest explanation is that they are just putting some on hold until the uncertainty is resolved.
Optus is in a different position. One thing that occurs to me is that parent company Singtel might be more closely related to China than Australia. Trashing Hauwei might not be in is best global interests.
Hitting up TIO or ACCC is anyone's option. The TIO generally doesn't accept complaints until you have at least tried to deal with the company first. I'd also be interested in the nature of the complaint. "My phone is working perfectly but I think it might one day work less well?"
I'd suggest a wait and see approach is probably the best most, including Optus, can do right now.
2019-05-29 09:16 PM
Telstra and Vodafone are taking this more seriously than optus In fact optus seem to lying back and taking the wait and see option, which is fine for the immediate but if nothing of interest comes to the fore soon I will be using the tio avenue as well.
Disclaimer . .I'm not an Optus apologist . 👍
2019-05-29 09:58 PM - edited 2019-05-29 09:58 PM
How are Telstra and Vodaphone taking this more seriously than Optus?
Telstra's public comment so far is "a Telstra spokesperson said, "We are in ongoing contact with Google and Huawei and are working with them to ensure no impact or disruption to our customers.""
Optus: "We are working closely with Huawei to provide the best outcome for Optus customers. We will provide updates if the situation changes."
Seems to boil down to the exact same approach?
Telstra decided to stop selling Hauwei phones, Optus hasn't but there's no rule (moral or legal) that says an customer can't buy a phone today knowing there are potential issues. Already individuals are selling their P30 phones at a steep discount (with no qualms about the buyer apparently) but savy buyers are also picking up a fantastic phone at a cheap price.
Making stuff up isn't all that helpful, doesn't matter how many thumbs up you give your self.
2019-05-29 10:06 PM
Thumbs up you give yourselves? Didn't even know that was possible .. Your venturing into conspiracy theories now..
2019-05-29 10:38 PM - edited 2019-05-29 06:40 AM
Perhaps its a yellow submarine?
Seriously though, I get the concern, its an expensive bit of kit and you want it to work well. I figured my post suggesting the worst case scenario is you get stuck with what you have (a great phone) for 6 months before being able to hand off the whole issue to Optus and get another great phone would be welcome news? It would probably take that long to get a TIO resolution even if you can somehow convince them that Optus have broken their contract in the first place (which is all TIO is generally interested in).
2019-05-29 09:01 AM
Telstra has not stopped selling Huawei phones.
They have stock of p30 now and are still offering it on plan.
2019-05-29 09:31 AM
The Huawei Mate was 'Out Of Stock' On Telstra's Website but back again. https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/05/breaking-telstra-has-pulled-all-huawei-devices-from-its-store/