cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: Google decision on Huawei, what does this mean for Optus customers?

This latest response by the Donald may offer some hope:

Responding to a question from a reporter at the White House, Mr Trump said Huawei was “very dangerous”.

But he added, “If we made a deal, I can imagine Huawei being included in some form of a trade deal.”

Asked specifically what that would look like, he replied, “It would look very good for us, I can tell you that.”

:

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor PDT
Contributor

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMilQFodHRwczovL3d3dy5uZXdzLmNvbS5hdS90ZWNobm9sb2d5L2dhZGdldHMvbW9...

The price of Huawei’s flagship P30 Pro, which was priced from $1599 when it launched, has tumbled, with some retailers significantly lowering the cost they are prepared to pay customers for trade-ins.

UK outlet musicMagpie is offering Huawei owners just $183 to trade in a device considered to be in “good” condition.

I wouldnt believe anything Mr trump has to say  

Occasional Contributor Combo64
Occasional Contributor

Optus, you just admitted that users of the Huawei phone's will be penalised by not being able to obtain the latest versions of applications and operating systems.

For people on contracts this means that they will be impacted as a result. As compensation and to avoid TIO cases will you do the right thing and offer early termination of contracts or a free device upgrade?

Choice is yours, but there are reasonable grounds for TIO intervention here.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Optus is already stated tgey are working with Huawei for a solution.

Optus is also impacted by this - they were not part of a foreign government's trade ban which caused this.

One would expect Huawei to buy back phone stock at the original price so as to not impact the telcos and users.

As nothing has been agreed upon with Huawei we will have to wait (i have a huawei nova for a family member tbat us impacted, sure its not a flagship but still impacts my family member). 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Combo64 

"may not be able to ... may affect the ...  you may not be able to" 

Optus have just stated the obvious. Everything is working exactly the well as when the phones were bought and just what happens in the next few months is still a big unknown. Trump might tweak the ban, Huawei might offer a recall or rollout an open source version, the TIO or ACCC might step in and give direction, etc. 

Optus have acknowledged the situation and said they're looking into it. 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Contributor PDT
Contributor

Shame there's no thumbs down button on these threads. 

Occasional Contributor pirramimma
Occasional Contributor

PDT totally agree. Definitely need a thumbs down for the Optus shills spreading thier Optus love.

As for Optus and thier recent post. Sorry Optus but that's not good enough. So you want us to Wait and see basically. Yeah not gonna happen. ACCC and TIO are going to have a field day over this very soon unless you do right by us customers.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I let the slur slide once @pirramimma  because you made some good points even though you decided to throw in a self aggrandising and demeaning insult. The sort of thing you can say on the Internet because, well its not really hurtful or ignorant to put other people down to make yourself feel clued in and on the money. I've never really thought about it, but I suspect the reason Optus only have a thumbs up is a nod to what most mothers try teach their kids; if you don't have something nice to say then perhaps don't say it? If you do want to be nasty, then perhaps do your homework and read a few of the posts I've made. Most more than two lines long, most just offering assistance but many also deeply critical of Optus (I think it is enormously to Optus' credit that they are open to such critisism (even if they don't respond to it as much as I'd like))

If you'd like to take issue with any of the comments made here, its definitely a place for a robust conversation. But IMO when you open with belittling, ignorant (and just plain incorrect) comments you add little to the debate and 'threating' Optus with references to two organisations that you clearly do not understand their role or processes doesn't add much either.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor pirramimma
Occasional Contributor

First of all Peter I never named anyone in particular. If you want to take what I said as a slur then that's up to you.

Secondly I really don't not care how long you have been around or how many posts you have made. Your just another keyboard warrior who thinks that because he's been on a forum for a long time that you have a say in everything and anything. You not the owner, the site operator or even a mod.

Every single post you have made in this thread has been pointless and not helped anyone. You have NO stake in this dituation. You are not affected, no one asked for your opinion yet you continue to give it even after being asked to butt out.

All you want to do is defend Optus. No one is attacking Optus, we are just demanding answers and a resolution to the situation. Which we rightfully are owed as customers.

Now, I don't hate Optus at all, in fact I quite like them, that's why Im with them. But the silence of any real action is deafening.

As for the two organisations I mentioned, in actual fact I have had many dealings with both very in depth via my previous employment for 15 years.  So yes I do know thier roles and processes very much.

Nice to know facts huh. But I guess I deserved that for apparently sluring you first.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I did have to ask myself why I considered only your posts @pirramimma  to warrant calling out. As you say, I've been around long enough not to be bothered by name calling. Lots of other posts, some stating what you are echoing. I guess its the binary nature of your posts. You immeadiately polarised the conversation into just two extremes. Posters must only seek to defend Optus (the shills) or be on the other side. Its only you who have characterised this as a battle with warriors and defenders or attackers. Its quite possible post a middle ground and to both support Optus or try hold it to account as the situation calls for it.

IMO your approach diminishes the whole conversation and that is unhelpful to all people with a view to express here. However, I'll leave off discussing it as its not really the point of this thread.

FWIW I think this issue is likely to have some massive repercussions for all Australian's and not just a few wanting to get their money back so to speak. So yes I do have a stake in things, even if you decide people can only contribute if they have one. At this stage Optus and Telstra are likely juggling a lot of factors (all in an area of uncertainty). There's contractual obligations, as well as Huawei likely to be employing both carrots and sticks behind the scenes. It should be easy for Telstra to wedge Optus and offer full refunds right now - Telstra's exposure to Hauwei is much smaller on this issue. But pissing off one of your largest potential suppliers is probably giving them pause. Coupled with this is that so far nothing has actually happened to customers or their phones. Both Telcos have adopted (and communicated) a wait and see approach which is all that could be reasonably expected at this stage. I defintiely think Optus will be monitoring social media closely on this issue though.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos