Searching...

Mobile

Re: Google decision on Huawei, what does this mean for Optus customers?

PDT

I currently have 3 handsets  Has anyone with a mate 9 received android 9 yet ? 

PDT

Australian telcos could be forced to dump Huawei smartphones should they become a security risk if they can’t access Android software updates.

pirramimma

Alot of upset Optus customers in this thread. Along with a couple of Optus shills. But still nothing from Optus themselves. Don't leave your customers in the dark Optus.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Different people see different things as helpful. I waited a day for someone else to respond to another concerned customer in this thread and in the absence of that offered some information that might allay their fears of phones being confiscated on the US border. Your post (incorrectly suggesting Optus are already allowing early termination on this issue.) is less helpful IMO. But as I said the great thing about forums is every one can chime in and hopefully a good outcome achieved. 

FWIW you don't need to be homeless to help a homeless person and you don't need to own a P30 Mate to help a mate with a P30.

Peter Gillespie

mickmcmahon6730

i am one of  the unfortunate ones that bought the P30 only a couple weeks ago on 24month contract.Us owners are only small fish in a big sea that is currently destroying Huawei as a company.Theres lots of companies around the world with families that are being put out of work by this Donald Trump decision.Its weird how even some of the rural mobile networks in the USA have been built by Huawei and there is alot of uncertainty about these,because if the ban stays they wont be able to use the networks there.https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/24/trump-huawei-tech-fallout-1471645 .Personally i think this is definitely a trade issue for leverage against the chinese,they have done very well not to retaliate at this stage.But if they need to retaliate i hope they dont hold back because they have a very powerful company that they can use to bargain with also in Apple.Donald Trump might just get a bit of a scare in his hip pocket if that happens.

[ Edited ]
Davelew

@petergdownload keep up the good work, you have always offered valuable advice to people on this forum.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

mickmcmahon6730

Im an Huawei P30 user as i purchased one off Optus only 2 weeks before this all started.Optus really arent liable for anything at the moment because all huawei phones will function normally for at least the next 90 days.Personally i think this is all linked to a trade agreement and when Trump realises how costly this will be to the American economy,he will soon lift the ban.

petergdownload

@Quaz1 , I agree the TIO Refund post doesn't directly address this Huawei updates issue but it does set an interesting precedent for Optus agreeing that a lack of updates is perhaps cause for a refund.

Ultimately there's really no winners out of this debarkle. The customers have concerns they have a dud phone, Optus is also a victim with either upset customers or $$$ paid out and Huawei obviously see there entire Oz (western world?) market precence impacted.

Peter Gillespie

Sven76

I was in the process of selling my old Mate 9,but now no one will touch it.

It's pretty much worthless now,but I can wear that. 

I'm now on a plan with the Mate 20 pro knowing now that it will be worthless at the end of contract if it hasn't already been cutoff from Google. 

I would hope Optus would take that into consideration (resale value or lack thereof) when I ask to swap to a different phone.

I had become used to selling off my old phones for a nice little return (like a tax return) it's a kick in the nuts that I can't do that now for both my old phone and current 

Highlighted

Optus

Our Huawei smart phones are currently not impacted by the US Government’s ban. So you can continue to use your Huawei smart phone in the way you normally do.  

After 18 August 2019 (this date may change and we will provide updates if it does), we’re informed that Huawei smart phones, including those purchased from Optus before that date, may not be able to access new versions of the Android operating system and security patches may be delayed. This may affect the performance of Huawei smart phones. For example, you may not be able to access the latest version of certain applications.      

We are working closely with Huawei to provide the best outcome for Optus customers. We will provide updates if the situation changes.  

If you have any concerns, you can talk with us here.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
21 Kudos
17 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
13 Kudos