cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Ministrinity
New Contributor

Re: Google decision on Huawei, what does this mean for Optus customers?

Even if they have a temporary license for existing phones. The damage has already been done. We are all left with a phone with little no value because it has no foreseeable future of android updates at least for the two years of phone plans we are paying for. Please allow us to swap phones like the p30 pro to a Samsung S10 plus at least since it's a new phone and a flagship level phone! 

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Money for any swaps has to come from somewhere though. Would be cheaper for telcos to terminate the contracts then provide replacement devices in this case. 

Nothing has been fully confirmed yet, so its a waiting game but I would expect Telcos to stop selling Huawei phones. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Its all a little bit soon to be swapping phones don't you think?

It appears existing phones may be largely unaffected by the issue but obviously its going to take a little time to see exactly what's happening. Huawei has said they'll issue security updates if needed and changes/improvements to software functionality is never  guaranteed once you buy a phone. Most manufacturer's also stop issuing updates to older models after two years anyway.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Paddylee then provide or than provide?

Assuming the later the contracts aren't defective here and cancelling them wouldn't make any difference anyway. If (and its a big if) the lack of future unspecified updates is enough to be considered a major breach of the consumer law then Optus would still need to replace the devices (with or without the contract remaining in place). 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor pirramimma
Occasional Contributor

Unaffected for 90days as that's the reprieve that Google has been given. After that no security updates or android updates are likely to come from Google. We will have to wait for Huawei to get ahold of the updates for free, then modify them, then push them out to Huawei phones. No one wants to live in uncertainty. You wouldn't either. Easy to say when you obviously don't have a Huawei.

I don't know what world your living in but yes we are guaranteed updates for at least two years. Has been this way for a while now. Google themselves even say updates for 3 years on thier phones.

Occasional Contributor

It's also not going to cost optus. It will cost Huawei in the end once they send the phones back. All Optus have to do is take the phones back and restart the contracts with new phones.

They actually are better off as they will have people locked in for longer.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@pirramimma 

I wish I was able to afford to buy what is arguably one of the best mobile phones on the market. Smiley Happy But my ownership has nothing to do with how I see this issue. Smiley Sad

Google guarantee updates on Pixel Phones. Huwei has said it will update its phones for twoish years, but there is actually no "guarantee" to what an "update" actually is. I suspect no where will you find something that says Huawei will provide the exact same updates as google. Essentially all these companies are doing is "guaranteeing" your phone won't be left out in the mix when whatever "update" is released is sent out.

FWIW Its unclear how the Oz Telcos would be hit. Assuming consumer Law applies (a big assumption) Optus et all would have to refund/replace the phones. However there's nothing to say Huawei need reimburse Optus. Again a wait and see I suppose.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Thats if Huawei even take back phones as they have announced no such plan at this stage. 

I have not seen any mention of a mandatory 2 years of updates - if you have an actual source for that then we know where we stand.

Numerous other phones barely get security updates let alone OS upgrades

Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18019356/android-security-update-mandate-google-contract . 

Also this:

All Huawei devices have been removed from Android Q Beta Devices (Google Website)

https://developer.android.com/preview/devices

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

So years years in the European Union, nothing listed for everyone else. 

This is an agreement between google and device maker - not Telco and user in this case.

Security updates vs OS upgrades - as long as they provide security updates for the shipped android version they are covered. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors