Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor viewer
Occasional Contributor

Huawei has lost Google Certification

Hi..

I recently started a $39 per month plan selecting the Huawei Nova 3i.

I note that Huawei have lost their Google certification, and will no longer receive security updates via Google, nor will Google services be updated on these devices.

Can an Optus representative please tell me what will happen to users on these plans, and what Optus will do to help us?

They were sold to us of having these services available, but they will not have that capability.

Can someone assist us users affected on Optus phone plans?

Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: Huawei has lost Google Certification

Hi

Have a at the previous posts today on this subject.

I would hope and imagine Optus will give an update when i all the details and clearer and confirmed.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro

@Combo64 

Which bit was wrong? I essentially said what you said? Huawei have also said they have their own operating system ready if needs be.

Anyway, I'm no expert, and I don't think anyone has got a handle on how this will play out just yet. If as @Davelew  says its an unintended consequence of Trump's actions he may seek to clarify the order for Google.

It does raise an interesting question on what liability Optus would have if a phone manufacturer stopped supporting their phones. Consumer law states a major fault would require a refund/replacement etc. A Major fault being something that would have meant you wouldn't have bough the phone had you known that fault would happen. This possibly qualifies.

However most contracts with software specifically state the software /service is not guaranteed. That its functionality may be changed or removed completely without the customer agreeing. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Optus is currently working with Huawei and Google to understand the impacts of this news to our customers.

New Contributor Michael75
New Contributor

What happens when we can not get security updates. Is optus going to help affected customers in changing phones ? As mine is only 6 months old. 

Contributor PDT
Contributor

Re: Google decision on Huawei, what does this mean for Optus customers?

I think security updates are an unkown at this stage, but it doesn't look good. 

I hope Android 9 fw updates that have already been approved by Optus, will filter through.

But I don't think they will come. The approved ones haven't yet been released by Huawei, even though they sitting on their servers. 

Not looking good at all. 

Contributor PDT
Contributor

"But for now we at least know that if you have a Huawei phone in Australia it will continue to get all of its updates, including security based ones, and you'll still be able to use all your Google owned apps. "

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/05/google-will-continue-to-support-existing-huawei-phones/amp

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor pirramimma
Occasional Contributor

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/20/is-huawei-really-screwed-without-android/

Yeah, for now. Which could and probably will change once we know for sure.

No android Q, Even though Huawei can use the free version of Android it's completely stripped down with no google apps so they have to make thier own which lets face it, won't be nearly as good.

Also it will also take extremely long for us to get updates that way as they wont get the devkits from Google and have to wait for it to be on AOSP before they can start do do anything.

Quite frankly it's not good enough living in a "what if" situation with a new $1600 phone.  I want what I am paying for and I'm not going to get what I expected from this phone. Optus better come to the table for a swap and new contract.

Occasional Contributor Majikalwhispers
Occasional Contributor

Huawei P30 Pro google / android ban

I purchased a new Huawei P30 Pro on a $80 plan yesterday, only to find out today that I will no longer get android or google updates 😩

so is optus going to replace these handsets with something else?

i need google for work, I use google drive, google maps.

why wasn’t I told this yesterday when I brought it. 

Tags (3)
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Huawei P30 Pro google / android ban

You will receive updates and access to google play store and apps on existing models just like yours.

Article from yesterday:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/05/google-will-continue-to-support-existing-huawei-phones/amp

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!