cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Michael75
New Contributor

Google decision on Huawei, what does this mean for Optus customers?

What is going o\to happen to our Huawei devices now with the ban in place. my device is only 6 months old. can you change device free of charge or will we have to pay for another device. Because now with the ban in place huawei users will note get security updates and eventually loose google services on phone.

Look foward to your replies.

Tags (1)
120 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro

Hi

Reuters are reporting  Google will not be providing updates but Google have not confirmed what they are going to do, so it is a bit of wait and see what will happen.

In the meantime it will be interesting to see if Optus puts a hold on their sales and leasing of Huawei phones.

I would think it would be sensible for anyone with thoughts of purchasing of a new Huawei phone to wait for a few weeks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48330310

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor GnrlMayhem
New Contributor

It's been confirmed that Google has pulled Huawei licence

Google pulls Huawei’s Android license, forcing it to use open source version

This may mean that all Google services may eventually stop working

Huawei's future phones reportedly won't have access to Google services, including the Play Store

Wonder if we can sue the US govt?

Smiley Tongue

PS While they haven't said anything yet, this may impact Microsoft as Huawei sell laptops as well.

Occasional Contributor pirramimma
Occasional Contributor

I just got a P30Pro.

I have been reading all morning about what's happening. New upcoming phones won't have google at all. No playstore, no Gmail or googles android.

Current phones like mine lose access to updates for Android, including security updates, playstore, YouTube, maps and all other google services. Which means once they get updated by Google we will lose access and they won't work as we won't be able to update.

Huawei also have to wait until the android update goes AOSP before they have access and can modify it for their phones. Could take a very long time.

I would think that Optus will stop selling Huawei and for people who got a new Huawei recently, then Optus would have no choice but to take the phones back and offer an equivalent phone on a new plan.

New Contributor Michael75
New Contributor

We can only hope they will exchange the phone.

Highlighted
New Contributor GnrlMayhem
New Contributor

Looks like apps & app updates should be ok but OS & security updates will be delayed.

Google suspends Huawei's Android support (updated)

So, current phones will still be usable but will will become unsecure and obselete quicker.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

I still think it is a bit of wait and see. Previously the Trump has banned some items and then reversed the decision. From what's being reported Google are trying to ascertain what they able to sell to Huawei.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its an interesting development. As far as I can see most of Trumps actions don't really benefit the US directly (i.e. manufacture isn't going to be headed back to the US) but they do increasingly harm China's interests.

But politics aside, I don't see you returning your phone for a refund/replacement. Note that much of the embargo on apps appears to be on new phones from now, so your's is still ok mostly. The security updates might concern some though. Google provide a free open source version of Android (which isn't subject to this order because its free) but I don't know how much functionality Google adds to this down the track (i.e. Security Updates?).

Regardless it would appear Huwai will be able to provide firmware and their own security updates (likely strongly based on that free open source Android) so you're end user experience might not alter significantly. 

I guess we will have to wait and see

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Combo64
Occasional Contributor

No you're wrong.

All devices will no longer have security patches or OS updates. Future devices will no longer have Android. You can still access Google Play store on current devices and Google apps such as Gmail, YouTube etc.

To Optus: will you be offering free handset upgrades to affected users? Or a break of contract free of charge?

Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Looks like the US government are already reconsidering the ban.

Quite from the ABC News website;

The US Commerce Department later said it was considering scaling back restrictions on Huawei to prevent the interruption of existing network operations and equipment

0 Kudos