cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data streaming speed on mobile

I recently upgraded my byo Sim from 10gb to   a plan giving me 30gb per month. But the data streaming seems slower. Any tips on how to fix this would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Data streaming speed on mobile

Is it possible that it's stuck on 3G?

Is it possible that your APN is not set to "connect"

Is it possibly an illusion? If you are determined, you need a comparison SIM, but these are not free. Cheapest one is a daily prepaid plus thing, which is $10

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The most convoluted scenario I can imagine is a SIM that prevents you from using certain 4G bands like 1800 (band 3). Band 28 700 might seem slow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks, it's showing 4g at top of phone. I even bought a 32gb storage card and the phone had 16 gb already which iveI only used half of. It's just that apps like Google maps and taxify take a bit of time to load properly. Same with movie session times. It was faster before I upgraded to more data....I better check with Optus to see if the band they've put me on has changed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus dont "assign" you 4g bands

Your device/phone connects to a band depending on factors like signal strength and quality of signal.

Changing plans should have no impact on your device in regards to data speed - if you kept the same device.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks, it's great to know there are people out there that understand these things, obviously I don't, so any help and explanations are greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on an affordable android mobile phone in ausAustra that would best support the 4g network??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

>>It's just that apps like Google maps and taxify take a bit of time to load properly. Same with movie session times. It was faster before I upgraded to more data....

Ahh, so you really have no idea whether the phone has just decided to acquire some malware that slows everything down. The browser on my Tab 4 is always slow, and the Huawei Mate 1 doesn't like alternate recent Chrome versions. However, Chrome on my Huawei Y550 goes like blazes.

You could just have gremlins.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

But I use the antivirus and malware scan and clear history and cookies every other day. No indication that there's malware. But anything is possible in cyberspace. Thanks, I'll take the phone into an Optus shop and see what they recommend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Delete the antivirus program and see if things pick up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unresolved dispute resolution

I am also waiting to hear from Optus in regards to a resolution to my dispute re my Samsung S7, the TIO has given until 22nd , I stated I want my contract finalised with my handset with no monies owing

0 Kudos
Top Contributors