Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Batross
New Contributor

Connectivity

I live in Perth but am frequently in the country at Beverley. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace which works perfectly with the sim card in both places. I bought a new unlocked Samsung S5 Active. With the same sim card it works perfectly in Perth but will not connect in Beverley. Does not recognise the Optus network in Beverley but reconnects as soon as I get back towards to the city. I put the sim card back in the old phone and it works again in Beverley. Anyone got any ideas on settings I could change on the S5. I have tried everything that is obvious.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Connectivity

@Batross, where did you purchase the Samsung S5? Did you purchase the handset overseas, or on contract with another provider? 

It could be to do with your handsets antenna bands. In Berverley, we provide 4G service over the 700Mhz and 2100Mhz frequency.

We provide service over the 3G network on 900Mhz.

Having had a look at the specs:

3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100

4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 28(700), 40(2300)

There shouldn't be an issue, but again I'd need to confirm the exact model.

Version g900i was sold in Australia. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Batross
New Contributor

Re: Connectivity

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for you reply. The phone is an S5 Active - Samsung -SM-G870A running Android version 5.1.1  I bought it from an Australian (Victorian) vendor on EBAy, unlocked and BNIB, but it came with US software (AT&T). Since contacting you I contacted Samsung Australia who advised that despite it working fine in Perth it is not suitable for Australia and I would need a new one. So I got onto the vendor who sent me a link to some Optus APN settings which are different from the default ones already on the phone. I have created a new APN with these details and it is working on them here in Perth. I will check it when I next go to the country and hopefully that will solve my problem. Any additional advice you can give would be apprectiated.

Thanks again for your consideration of this problem.

Regards

Ross

0 Kudos