Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

Carrier Aggregation - S8 plus hotstpot

ITSupport

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone can explain the differences in speed between my mobile and when using it in hotspot mode to my PC.

Basically when I do a speedtest using the speedtest app I can get speeds up to 150mbit +. This is because the phone is aggregating multiple 4g frequencies to give a higher speed.

The issue I see is when I hotspot my pc to the phone (S8+) the max speed is around 50-60. I assume that hostspot is not aggregating multiple frequencies and that only one 4G band is in use.

Is this a limit of Optus or Android?

Re: Carrier Aggregation - S8 plus hotstpot

Paddylee

Could be a limit on the wifi hotspot side, have you tried hotspot over usb cable by chance?

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

ITSupport

Hi there,

Yes I have tried using the USB cable and no difference. 

I wondered if it was a limit of 2.4Ghz wifi band I wonder if Optus will let us change that to 5Ghz at some stage?

Paddylee

From memory (of my own note 8) we wont have a 5Ghz hotspot function on our models as the chipset that does support it is not in our devices.

Different regions have different chipsets - we have the Exynos chipset in Australia where as in the US they have the Snapdragon (last I checked in the note8/s8 range the Exynos chip was faster for apps etc)

Carrier Aggregation is a funny creature, you cant force it - it just appears.

It looks for things like data usage/flow and availability of aggregation of other 4g bands your phone can see.

USB cable seems to work out for me when hotspotting compared to wifi (and uses less power as the laptop/pc charges the phone as it operates).

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
21 Kudos
21 Kudos
20 Kudos
17 Kudos
13 Kudos