cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
pony65k
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can't receive international text messages from one friend (iPhone) since porting number to Optus

Hello.

I was on Telstra prepaid (using an Android phone). I wanted a new phone/plan and didn't like the Telstra cost so I ported my number to Optus and got a Sony XZ Premium (Android phone) and a plan which gives me 150 minutes international calls and unlimited international texts.

I have a few friends in the USA that I regularity text with, both use iPhones but with different carriers to each other. Firstly I never had an issue sending or receiving texts with these people with Telstra.

One friend I can send and receive texts with on Optus, no issues. The second friend receives my texts and replies but I don't receive his texts at all. Nothing has changed on his side at all. I would have thought if texting works with one person, it would work with everyone. I can ring him with no issues, just purely texting. He can't call me as he can't call international numbers, but he can text internationally.

I've rang Optus numerous times and they haven't been able to help at all. They've done a reset, checked my phone settings and then just stopped ringing back with more ideas. There are no blocked numbers on my phone, so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

I have read about people who have had their number reported and that solved the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pony

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Can't receive international text messages from one friend (iPhone) since porting number to Optus

Hey Pony, sorry to hear of the issues messaging your friend, this is a bizarre one. Typically if there's any issues on our end, you wouldn't be able to send/receive any international texts at all.

Prior to your Sony XZ Premium, what phone were you using? If you and your friend both had an iPhone, but then you switched to Android, their phone could be trying to send an iMessage thinking you still have an iPhone.

If you had Android previously then this would not apply.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
pony65k
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Can't receive international text messages from one friend (iPhone) since porting number to Optus

The phone I had before was an Android phone, my friend has iPhone. We've never had issues. I've never had an iPhone.

I have since discovered only friends  that are Verizon customers are affected. Other friends on T-Mobile I don't have issues with.

I'm assuming then when my number was ported, somehow Verizon hasn't ipdated something.

0 Kudos
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hmmm ok, what we can do is send the details to a network engineer for advice, I'm not too sure what could be causing this, but hopefully they will be able to confirm if the issue is on our end or your friend's.

Send me a private message with your phone number, full name and DOB. I'll check it out and get back to you asap.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
pony65k
New Contributor
New Contributor

PM sent

0 Kudos
Top Contributors